ANN: wxIFM window layout save code

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
huge
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by huge » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi all,
I've been messing around with wxIFM a bit now and I really like it. While the plugin architecture make some thing hard to trace, I respect the reasons for using it. For it to be useful to me, I really need the ability to save and restore the layout from one session to the next, so I wrote some code to do this.
There are some source file at:

http://www.gamemosaic.com/wxifm/.

Check it out and see if you like it. Note, that this is not in the same style as the library, and it is not really desiged as the "final solution".

Huge

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:39 pm

For the benefit of your post being more visible, I split it from the wxIFM one and gave you a new thread with a better visible name, so people don't think it is just a reply on the big thread. I hope that is ok with you..

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:55 am

Hi. Thanks for this contribution! I'm being lazy and not going about making the changes necessary to properly integrate saving into the library, but now I can at least say its possble. :) It was a contribution like this one which gained wxIFM more widespread usage, hopefully this one will do the same. I'm referring to the patch that added prettier drawnig routines for tabs and generally made things look ncer. I feel bad now because I seem to have forgotten/lost the name of the contributor! If you're reading this, I'm sorry! The email account that I probably used to recieve the patch deletes stuff after a certain number of months unless I move it to another folder in thier webbased interface.

Some issues I saw were that it fails to load states which had more than one row/column of containers on either side of the frame properly, and pops up an error box if a container is a child of a container. However, it functions rather well for just a "quick and dirty" job, even if it requres slight wxIFM header changes to expose a function.

By the way, in my local copy of the source, the function that you added yourself exists and is public, but with a different name, so it was ok that you added it.

Thanks again,
SnakeChomp

huge
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by huge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:29 am

Hi,

Yes, the container-in-a-container is a known issue. The main problem is that the restoring code simply adds the windows in a different (saved) order, with slightly different parameters. Is it possible to create the multiple-container floating window just by calling "AddChild" or do you have to do some dragging ? If you can give me a hint here, I can mod the code.

SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Putting multiple windows into the same floating window can be done through the API but quite frankly the API sucks in that department. The optimal fix of rewriting the API will have to wait until ether I get around to it or someone else decides they would rather fix it themselves. If I were to work on wxIFM again on a large feature like rewriting the frontend, I'd probably want to make more changes as well, possibly more fundamental changes like altering the plugins system or making the system in general less generic and easier to write. But, we shall see.

arucard
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by arucard » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:40 pm

SnakeChomp wrote:I'm referring to the patch that added prettier drawnig routines for tabs and generally made things look ncer. I feel bad now because I seem to have forgotten/lost the name of the contributor! If you're reading this, I'm sorry!
Hello SnakeChomp, you are probably speaking about me. Don't worry about this. My fullname is Tomas Pecholt
wxWidgets 2.8.4, winxp, VC2003 and above