ANN: new component wxDbGrid 23.01 released [UPD]

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
FredCL
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

ANN: new component wxDbGrid 23.01 released [UPD]

Post by FredCL »

New component wxDbGrid to display tabular data.

What's different in this grid:

- Management of complex filters and sorting
- Save/restore filter and sort definitions
- Native odd/even line differentiation
- light/dark mode management

Sample screenshot

Feedback is welcome.

SDK (For GCC and Visual C++), demo (Project file for code::block and Visual Studio 2019) and documentation (French, english in progress not yet available) can be download here!

Kind Regards,

Fred
Last edited by FredCL on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
utelle

Re: ANN: new component wxDbGrid 23.01 released

Post by utelle »

FredCL wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:37 pm New component wxDbGrid to display tabular data.

What's different in this grid:

- Management of complex filters and sorting
- Save/restore filter and sort definitions
- Native odd/even line differentiation
- light/dark mode management

Feedback is welcome.
Looking at the screenshot this component looks really nice and useful.

However, there are several drawbacks:
  1. Only binaries, no source code - this makes it impossible to fix bugs on one's own, and it is unclear how to get support in such a case and at which costs. Please consider to make your component Open Source as wxWidgets itself.
  2. Only for Windows - wxWidgets is a cross-platform framework. So, support for Linux and macOS in addition to Windows would be important (at least for me).
  3. Only for gcc 11.2 - Dynamic C++ libraries tend to depend on a certain compiler and compiler version. So, the available binaries might not work with other gcc versions and will for sure not work with Visual C++.
  4. Documentation in French only - In the software development world English is in fact the "lingua franca". So, it would certainly help to provide the documentation in English, too.
Because of the above points, I could de facto only test the component with great effort, since I mainly work with Visual C++ under Windows.

Regards,
Ulrich
FredCL
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by FredCL »

Hello Ulrich,

Yes, for the moment it's only freeware.
If bug is discovered mail to the address mentionned in file header.
I will do my best to solved it rapidely, it's free (I use the component every day in my job with the application showned in the screenshot)

I will work to produce lib for VisualC++.
Yes the first version of the documentation is in french, il will produce one in english.

Kind Regards

Fred.
utelle

Post by utelle »

Hi Fred,
FredCL wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am Yes, for the moment it's only freeware.
The wording "for the moment" gives me hope that you may consider to make the component Open Source - hopefully in a not too far future. :)

In my own projects I typically use Open Source components wherever possible, and if I have to use closed source components they are usually commercial with guaranteed support.
FredCL wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am If bug is discovered mail to the address mentionned in file header.
I will do my best to solved it rapidely, it's free (I use the component every day in my job with the application showned in the screenshot)
Of course I believe you that you will try your best to fix bugs, but there can be circumstances where you may not be able to take care of your component.
FredCL wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am I will work to produce lib for VisualC++.
If you look at the wxWidgets releases, you will see that libraries for quite a number of compiler versions are provided:

gcc 7.3.0, 8.1.0, 10.3.0-TDM, 12.2.0
VC++ 9, 10 (2010), 11 (2012), 12 (2013), 14x (where 14x is compatible with 14 (2015), 15 (2017), 16 (2019), and 17 (2022))

This is necessary, because interoperability between libraries is heavily dependent on the compiler version for C++. From my point of view a 14x compatible version would be most important.
FredCL wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am Yes the first version of the documentation is in french, il will produce one in english.
Very much appreciated (as my command of French is limited - I learned French in school, but that's a long time ago).

Kind regards,
Ulrich
FredCL
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by FredCL »

Hello Ulrich,
utelle wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:21 pm If you look at the wxWidgets releases, you will see that libraries for quite a number of compiler versions are provided:

gcc 7.3.0, 8.1.0, 10.3.0-TDM, 12.2.0
VC++ 9, 10 (2010), 11 (2012), 12 (2013), 14x (where 14x is compatible with 14 (2015), 15 (2017), 16 (2019), and 17 (2022))

This is necessary, because interoperability between libraries is heavily dependent on the compiler version for C++. From my point of view a 14x compatible version would be most important.
I just tried to compile something with VC++2019 and I have link errors. (that's probably why I had given up using VC++ for Code::Block with GCC).
It will take me a long time to understand what to do before I can compile a simple 'Hello World' with WxWidgets for VC++.

I'm still looking...

Kind regards
F.Cailleau-Lepetit
utelle

Post by utelle »

Hi Fred,
FredCL wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:02 pm I just tried to compile something with VC++2019 and I have link errors. (that's probably why I had given up using VC++ for Code::Block with GCC).
It will take me a long time to understand what to do before I can compile a simple 'Hello World' with WxWidgets for VC++.
For simple testing I often use the pre-compiled wxWidgets libraries. To set up a VC++ solution I use premake5. An example you can find for example in my wxWidgets component wxSQLite3. The main premake5 file is here, and that file references a wx utility file. Additionally, a property file is referenced by the generated solution files that can be found here.

Maybe that helps to get started with VC++ more easily.

Regards,
Ulrich
ollydbg23
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: ANN: new component wxDbGrid 23.01 released [UPD]

Post by ollydbg23 »

The screen shot looks nice. Sadly it is not open source. Also, I think maintaining the binary libraries for different compilers is a bit hard.