wxDatabase Library

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

wxDatabase Library

Post by evstevemd »

wxDatabase is database library built on top of wxWidgets that provide a database independent interface similar to JDBC.The library supports SQLite3, MySQL, PostGreSQL, ODBC, and TDS. There is no yet any release but the library is currently working with no major issue.

We need people who will test the library for any issue before we plan for release.
We welcome suggestions and criticism aimed at making database access with wxWidgets better.

The library is found on GitHub -- https://github.com/mtangoo/wxDatabase

Cheers,
Stefano (for the wxDB team)
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
doublemax

Re: wxDatabase Library

Post by doublemax »

God, how i hate exceptions. Why does everyone else love them so much... ? :wink:
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

doublemax wrote:God, how i hate exceptions. Why does everyone else love them so much... ? :wink:
I do too. Its in my to do list to remove exceptions. These are leftovers from databaselayer library.

However, I will appreciate pull request fixing that or an issue with better way of fixing the issue.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I do too. Its in my to do list to remove exceptions. These are leftovers from databaselayer library.
That's good to hear :)
Use the source, Luke!
dlutlzs
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by dlutlzs »

Dear Sir,
I want to use "wxDataBase" to connect to MySql, but I encounter problem of compile it. I am working on win10 + vs2010, I have download your source code and also installed mysql-connector which you mentioned. Then I add your source files about MySql to my project, compiled without problem but has link error of the construct API of wxMysqlDatabase. Then I found the macro "wxUSE_DATABASE_MYSQL" and "WXMAKINGLIB_DATABASE" are not defined, I get the following errors after defined these two maro:

1>C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector C 6.1\include\mysql_com.h(345): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'fd'
1>C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector C 6.1\include\mysql_com.h(345): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
1>C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector C 6.1\include\mysql_com.h(345): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

What I missed? Or can you tell me how to compile it correctly?

Thanks & Best Regards
Li
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Did you use CMake to generate the files?
Can you provide steps you went through to generate VS file?

I do not use Visual Studio but you can just add the two in preprocessor option (I don't know what VS calls it). But the best way would be generating build files with CMake.

if you follow steps and still does not work consider opening an issue in github for close followup!
airc
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by airc »

there is no firebird backend ! .
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

airc wrote:there is no firebird backend ! .
Sure. There's no one for now and am not having enough resources to maintain it. But I will accept pull request for that. If you go through issues in github you can see there is a promise from a contributor to add and maintain it. May be you need to comment there to encourage him to go ahead and do it
airc
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by airc »

the guy who said that he will add firebird he mentioned that he will use ibpp , i think is heavy , instead ..
databaselayer already has firebird backend ,( i never used it ) , why not grabing fb backend from databaselayaer and add it to wxDataBase .
its is just my opinion , i am not using wxwidget for database , i am using other development tools for that task .
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

airc wrote:the guy who said that he will add firebird he mentioned that he will use ibpp , i think is heavy , instead ..
databaselayer already has firebird backend ,( i never used it ) , why not grabing fb backend from databaselayaer and add it to wxDataBase .
its is just my opinion , i am not using wxwidget for database , i am using other development tools for that task .
I will appreciate a maintainer. As i said I don't have resources to maintain it so if you can take the task, I have no problem at all.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

the guy who said that he will add firebird he mentioned that he will use ibpp , i think is heavy , instead ..
Hi, it was me who talked about adding a Firebird backend using IBPP.

The reason I suggested using IBPP is because the way wxDatabase exposes the database to the 'user' and the way IBPP works is somewhat similar.

I think IBPP is used in Flamerobin (i.e. quite heavily tested and stable), but I am not sure that the wxDatabaseLayer Firebird backend has had the same use.

Also, as you probably know the Firebird C-language API is not particularly friendly, so using IBPP removes some of the pain :D

Anyway, it was just a suggestion and so far I haven't really had chance to follow it through.
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.