Wizard for automatic project creation in Visual Express C++

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
geppos
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Wizard for automatic project creation in Visual Express C++

Post by geppos »

Hello community,
it's a while I'm playing with wxWidgets and Visual Studio Express C++ and each
time I need to create a new project from scratch, I get bored to manually setting include paths, linker
dependencies, code generation and so on. Moreover I frequently used wxFormBuilder for rapid design of GUI
and, also in this case, I dont like to write each time the inherited skeleton classes to start the project ... :)
Searching on the web, I have not found very useful tools for automatic setting of Visual Express, so I decided
to write my own Wizard for this purpose (wxWidgetsWizard) and a little installer to make it compatible with
several VisualExpress and wxWidgets versions. I have successfully tested the wizard installer
with VisualStudio C++ Express 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013 and with wxWidgets version from 2.9.X to 3.0.2.
The installer has been compiled with VisualExpress 2010, so i think is not usable with Windows version
preceeding XP.
If someone is interested to try it and give me a feedback, the wizard installer is downloadable following this link:
https://dl.orangedox.com/AUaFi8i894HPRb ... Wizard.rar

Good coding !
geppos
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Wizard for automatic project creation in Visual Express C++

Post by geppos »

New version of the Wizard downloadable here (now with source code of the installer included):
https://dl.orangedox.com/ojzNfAT47bmXbx ... izard2.rar
If you have more than one VisualExpress and wxWidgets installation on the same machine, It is now possible (during installation) to select the combination you want to use.
Moreover, in the project creation step now is also possible to select the type of library for linking: static (lib) or dinamic (dll) :).
jaxsin
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jaxsin »

Thank you! very much appreciate this

Can you explain why I need to use multi-threaded DLL when I choose static in the setup? I take it the completed build is still static but it is just how I installed wxWidgets? I really don't understand all the intricacies of compiling and linking.
geppos
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by geppos »

I agree with you concerning the intricancies of linking !
I don't really know the real difference between a wx Library builded (in a not-DLL Configuration!) as multi-threaded or multi-threaded DLL. Both configs produce lib files that seem linked statically when used to build the final executable. I prefeer to use a completely DLL-free setup to build static version of wxWidgets libs and this is why the Wizard creates a project with the same setup when you choose "static" ...
So, if you have a multi-threaded DLL build of wxWidgets, you must select the same in your wizard-created project or, alternatively, rebuild wxWidgets libs with no-DLL ☺