wxStyledTextCtrl Method and Event Explorer

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
New Pagodi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

wxStyledTextCtrl Method and Event Explorer

Post by New Pagodi »

I've written a program to help programmers explore the properties and events of wxStyledTextCtrl.

Basically, the application has 5 windows:
-the upper left is an initially unmodified wxStyledTextCtrl window
-the upper right is a property grid.
-the middle window logs events emitted by the wxStyledTextCtrl window.
-the lower windows show the scintilla and wxStyledTextCtrl documentation pages.

wxStyledTextCtrl /Scintilla is a great tool, but with over 600 methods, it's not always clear how to make it do what you want. The goal here is to speed the process of learning what each those the methods do. As you set values in the property grid, the corresponding method is called on the wxStyledTextCtrl window. This way you can see the effect of those changes in real time. The relevant sections of the scintilla and wxwidgets documentation are also scrolled into view.

After you've configured the wxStyledTextCtrl the way you want it, there is a 6th window that can display code that can be used in a program to configure it the same way:

The code is available on my github account here.

I also have a tutorial that walks through step by step how to make a raw wxStyledTextCtrl window look like notepad++.

This project obviously incorporates the pieces of the Scintila and wxWidgets documentation (as well as the Scintila icon pack). The licenses for those packages say you can do that as long as you meet certain conditions. This is the first significant program I've released, and I've tried to meet those conditions but I'm not 100% sure I did it right. If I'm not doing it right, can someone more experienced correct me and I'll fix it immediately.
VonGodric
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: wxStyledTextCtrl Method and Event Explorer

Post by VonGodric »

This looks really interesting. Will give this a try ! :P
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Looks very nice. Thanks.
Use the source, Luke!
New Pagodi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by New Pagodi »

Thanks for the comments. It would be nice if a more recent version of scintilla could be included with wxWidgets.

Does anyone know how to check if the upcoming 3.1 or 3.0.3 releases will include an updated scintilla?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

It's in discussion to upgrade to Scintilla 3.6.3 for wxWidgets 3.1.0 (which is supposed to come out very soon).
http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17357
Use the source, Luke!