ANN: wxPdfDocument 0.5 released

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
utelle

ANN: wxPdfDocument 0.5 released

Post by utelle » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:06 pm

The first public beta version of the wxCode component wxPdfDocument is available for download.

wxPdfDocument allows wxWidgets applications to generate PDF documents. The code is a port of FPDF - a free PHP class for generating PDF files - to C++ using the wxWidgets library. Several add-on PHP scripts found on the FPDF web site are incorporated into wxPdfDocument. Embedding of PNG, JPEG, GIF and WMF images is supported. In addition to the 14 standard Adobe fonts it is possible to use other Type1 or TrueType fonts - with or without embedding them into the generated document. In Unicode build CJK fonts are supported, too. Graphics primitives allow the creation of simple drawings.

More information (examples, online documentation) on the components website:

http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/wxpdfdoc/

ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:37 pm

Excellent work utelle!!!
Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia

utelle

Post by utelle » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks. I hope wxPdfDocument will be useful for the wxWidgets community.

In the meantime I already made some minor changes due to a feedback of a user who had problems compiling the component with mingw. Since I currently have only MSVC for development, I was not aware of some subtle side effects of some C++ constructs. Version 0.5.1 is now the current version.

Regards,
Ulrich

Chr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Chr » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:26 pm

the only supported port is wxMSW?
(like it says at wxcode...)
wxWidgets is nice

utelle

Post by utelle » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:51 pm

Chr wrote:the only supported port is wxMSW?
(like it says at wxcode...)
Well, I've tested it only on wxMSW, since I currently don't have access to a Linux system. Therefore I can't promise it will build on Linux or other platforms without any difficulties, although I'm fairly sure my code should be very portable since it uses the wxWidgets library whereever possible. I already eliminated one problem which arises when building on Linux: in wxpdfdoc.cpp the header file process.h (not available on Linux) was included since I used getpid to get the current process id. I was not aware that getpid could be replaced by wxGetProcessId. The code in CVS is already changed now, but before making a new file release I'd like to get a bit more feedback about build problems on Linux and/or other platforms.

The build system is bakefile based and the wxCode administrators provide utility bakefiles to simplify the creation of multi platform makefile, project files and so on. Without at Linux system at hand I have to rely on the correctness of these files. But there seem to be some problems with them as one user reported.

Certainly I will do my very best to provide a package which not only builds on Windows without problems as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ulrich

mispunt
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by mispunt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:16 am

Looks interesting...

Is it possible to extend it with a simple pdf viewer?
Compiler: MingW
wxWidgets version: 2.6.2

utelle

Post by utelle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:50 am

mispunt wrote:Is it possible to extend it with a simple pdf viewer?
wxPdfDocument writes PDF files, it does not read them - at least not in the current version.

To display the resulting PDF file it would be possible to add a method to launch Acrobat Reader. On Windows platforms one could launch FoxIt - a small free PDF viewer - instead of Acrobat Reader.

Regards,

Ulrich

BigBulle
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by BigBulle » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks a lot for this nice tool :D !!

During the compilation in my own project (but not in your samples) I get this warning:

Code: Select all

c:\wxWidgets-2.6.2\contrib\include\wx\pdffont.h(209) : warning C4100: 'root'

utelle

Post by utelle » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:43 am

[quote="BigBulle"]During the compilation in my own project (but not in your samples) I get this warning:

Code: Select all

c:\wxWidgets-2.6.2\contrib\include\wx\pdffont.h(209) : warning C4100: 'root'