Survey: Commercial Add-Ons?

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
samofvt
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Survey: Commercial Add-Ons?

Post by samofvt »

Hello All,

I've been using wxWidgets since version 1, and have seen it mature into a great platform. Currently I use it to support my (mildly successful) company's back end. Although creation of solid GUI interfaces is really "Child's Play, well, almost" (as one slogan used to read), there have been times I've been dissapointed by missing components which other platforms take for granted. Each time I run itno the situation, I usually throw my hands up in fustration and evaluate other platforms for the possiblily of abandoning ship. So far, wxWidgets still comes out on top and I end up writing the missing component from scratch. Because of this extra effort and time required, I'm just thankful my wife hasn't left me due to neglect ;-)

If this topic (missing components, not marital issues) is of concern to you, please take a moment to take this survey:

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid= ... c4bj526717

I'll post results (if any) here at some time in the future if I can.

TIA,
-samofvt
MarlonDean
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: Survey: Commercial Add-Ons?

Post by MarlonDean »

Please post the results when the survey is finished, it would be interesting to see what the community thinks of this.
samofvt
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Re: Survey: Commercial Add-Ons?

Post by samofvt »

MarlonDean wrote:Please post the results when the survey is finished, it would be interesting to see what the community thinks of this.
Sure. So far about 8 responses, so I think there is at least some interest. There are surely many, many more software departments out there that use wxWidgets than those that might respond here: If they're like myself, I rarely look at this forum. I plan on letting this survey run for at least a few months before drawing any kind of conclusion from it.

I suspect that if it could be done, it would have already been done by one of the main developers of wx (see http://wxwidgets.org/support/support.htm). The startup cost for a full time business oriented component writing/support group seems pretty daunting (10's or 100's of thousands). A bigger company that plans on using the components internally anyway might be able to justify spending a few extra 10's of thousands on a public release department, but even then I'm not sure the ROI would be there...which is what I'm curious about.