Please ask questions related to the wx book only here

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
richtx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by richtx »

Does anyone know when the wxWidgets book release date is supposed to occur?
Amazon was scheduled to ship this out about two weeks ago but has not yet done so.
When I call to inquire I get a call center in India and they tell me the book has not yet shipped. Big Help!
Does anyone no when it's coming?
THANKS!

:lol:

Edit: One question mark should be enough in the topic. -vdell
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Hi there, I'm glad to see there's lots of enthusiasm for the book. :)

The book was delivered to the publisher's warehouse on July 8th. From there, it has to be then distributed to the various sellers before they can begin selling it. It is my understanding that this process generally take about 2-3 weeks, so optimistically the book should begin moving this week, but it could be next week. :-/

Overseas stores will likely not be selling the book until mid-August.

Kevin Hock
wxWidgets book co-author
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Two possible release dates I've gleaned are July 20 (today) and July 25. Sorry I don't have anything more firm.
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Book news ?

Post by theWolf »

Book news..

The following was found on the publishers site:
By Julian Smart, Kevin Hock, Stefan Csomor.
Published by Prentice Hall PTR.

ISBN: 0131473816; Published: Jul 27, 2005; Copyright 2006; Dimensions 7x9-1/4 ; Pages: 744; Edition: 1st.
Interesting copyright date "2006".
Maybe tomorrow :D
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

As seen on the mailing list:
Kevin Hock wrote:Hi all,

There have been a number of inquiries about when the book will be
available for purchase. I asked the editor again about availability.
There was a delay at the printer and so the publication date has
slipped to 7/27. Availability will take a couple extra weeks overseas.

Kevin Hock
wxWidgets book co-author
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

It's actually pretty common practice to post-date the copyright one year on books like this. Don't ask me why, but it's not unique to this book.
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Got good deal on WxWidgets book

Post by theWolf »

Hello All,

I just bought the WxWidgets book online at:

http://www.phptr.com/
(the publisher)

Got a 35% off coupon (from the www.phptr.com site)
and free UPS ground shipping.
:)
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

The book is also available from Amazon for 34% off ($32.99) and includes free shipping as part of their free shipping on orders > $25 deal.

If anyone is planning to order through Amazon, we have a special link so that we (the authors) can get a small commission from Amazon for each sale: http://www.wxwidgets.org/book/index.htm . Thanks in advance!

I also recently posted an announcement in the announcement forum with some other news about the book.
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Hi all,

I thought I would pass along the delightful news that I have in my hands what could be the first physical copy of the wxWidgets book to reach someone outside of Prentice Hall. The book was overnighted from the warehouse to me and arrived this afternoon.

The book looks great and I think I speak on behalf of both Julian and myself in saying that we can't wait to hear what the wxWidgets community thinks of the book. Given that the book was delivered to Prentice Hall yesterday, hopefully orders from online retailers will begin flowing shortly.

Speaking of online retailers, if you are planning to order the book through Amazon.com or Amazon UK, Julian and I would really appreciate if you could order through the links on the book page: http://www.wxwidgets.org/book/index.htm . By ordering through these links we receive a small commission from Amazon. It doesn't cost you anything, so why not? :)

For those of you who are curious, the final length with the Index is exactly 700 pages, not including the front matter. Also, despite Amazon's dillusions, the book is not hardcover, but rather the soft paper cover we are used to on most technical books.

Cheers,

Kevin Hock
wxWidgets book co-author
darklordsatan
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by darklordsatan »

From what Ive seen Here it looks really promising.
Its just a shame I live in a prehistoric country, and I dont have a credit card or something... :cry:

BTW, how much the "DialogBlocks Personal Edition" bundled in the CD-ROM differs from the one available at anthemion? Or is it just the same you can adquire there (obviously, its a plus that is blunded with the book...)

Other than that, congrats for such a great book. I hope you get some good revenues with it.
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

DialogBlocks Personal Edition, supplied on this CD-ROM, is the same as the Professional version except for the following restrictions: wizards are limited to four pages; only one "custom control definition" can be created; there is the occasional nag screen; Windows RC file import is disabled; and the tool is for personal rather than commercial use.

So, it's basically inbetween the really-restricted free download version and the full professional version. It allows you to easily compile the samples in the book, make your own GUIs, etc.
Chr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Chr »

Something bad to mention:
i ordered the book, which should orginally be released at 4.July, but it was delayed at 30.July...
---
now i see on that page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 61-8341223
Product Details:
# Hardcover 656 pages (September 30, 2005)
what's going on there?
amazon.com is even writing 30.Oktober...
Can somebody explain me that?
wxWidgets is nice
richtx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Misinformation about the book shipping date?

Post by richtx »

For People waiting for wxWidgets book.
I cancelled my order because Amazon customer service in India was unable to tell me when the book is being shipped. It is already several weeks overdue. I did a reorder and the Amazon customer service screen now advises Nov 3 as a release date. I hope the book is good as the publisher and marketing of the book is quite poor. A book should be advertised when it is ready NOT 6 months before!

EDIT: Since Kevin clarified this, I would like to prevent the hysteria as said, and simply changed the title to a bit more acceptable one (-Jorgen)
Chr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Chr »

mmh, it seems that there are problems with amazon
wxWidgets is nice
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Amazon.com and Amazon UK have received some bad information from their distributors; I have already informed the editor and he indicated that he would take care of it. Rest assured that Prentice Hall has received the printed books at their warehouse and all that remains now is for the books to be sent out to the various stores' warehouses. This process can takes about a week (give or take a few days) so we should see the book available online and in stores within the first 10 days of August. Non-US locations may take a few additional weeks beyond that, unfortunately, but nowhere near the end of September or October.