Toolkit for creating custom print dialogs Topic is solved

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
HansR
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Toolkit for creating custom print dialogs

Post by HansR »

The wxWidgets printing system works well, but assumes that the OS' built-in print and page setup dialogs are good enough. The OS' dialogs didn't suit my needs, so I have created a toolkit that provides everything needed to create a custom print/page-setup dialog. This includes things such as getting a list of available printers and paper types.

You will find the code here. I know that there were at least a few others who wanted to create custom print dialogs.

I hope that others find it useful, and even extend it (e.g., add support for other OSes). Ideally, this (or something like it) would be an official part of wxWidgets.

Hans
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Toolkit for creating custom print dialogs

Post by tierra »

HansR wrote:The wxWidgets printing system works well, but assumes that the OS' built-in print and page setup dialogs are good enough.
It's not really an assumption that "they are good enough", just that the goal of wxWidgets is to use as much native UI as possible.

What you've done here is incredibly helpful though regardless, thanks. I've briefly looked over your code, and it's very clean, mostly documented, and mostly up to wxWidgets coding standards too (though you need to remove the use of C++ exceptions).

You will find that most of the official developers (almost all of them) only really frequent the mailing lists, so this would be better noticed, and you will get a better response from the developers if you post about this on the wx-dev mailing list. Also, it would probably help if you created an issue about this on trac.wxwidgets.org. Just note that it's not a patch you expect to be applied immediately as there are no implementations for Mac or GTK+ yet.
HansR
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by HansR »

Thanks tierra. I have created a Trac ticket.

Hans