wxIFM 1.0.5 - docking library for wxWidgets

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

SnakeChomp wrote:
For information, navigate to irc.freenode.net/#cpaf.
:wink:

This is not the thread to fill up with unrelated posts.
Heh looks like something I tried to do 5 years ago before I figured out how bloated templates and the like made your projects.

Honest to (your diety) I just want a good cross-platform c gui library without any overhead and other nonsense.

I know, I'm crazy. More news at 11.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

Well, I was able to find out the project name:
CPAF: Cross Platform App Framework

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/cpaf

Not much info there though. Ryan seems to know more about the implementation.
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

You can see whats there through the subversion repository.

BTW good luck on your new project Snake :).
RoCKdaFrogg
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by RoCKdaFrogg »

Hello,

found another flaw in wxIFM... When I call ShowChild or HideChild now, it does not hide the whole panel but only the child itself... IMHO wxIFM should remove the whole panel when no entry exists in the panel anymore. Otherwise calling ShowChild or HideChild as a reaction to a View menu is kind of useless.

Would you be willing to create a wxIFM-1.0.1 ?

Thomas Rogg
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

wxIFM 1.0.1 patch

Post by SnakeChomp »

Thanks for reporting this, I never tried using the Show/Hide menu entries in the sample and didn't notice that they were broken.

I have created a patch which fixes all issues related to panels, tabs, and hiding the children of panels. Simply extract this zip file over your wxIFM 1.0 distribution.

www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-1.0.1-patch.zip

Note for first time readers: This is not a new release. You must have the 1.0 release to apply this patch to. The 1.0 release is here: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-1.0.zip
arucard
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by arucard »

Hello I tested the wxIFM's demo a bit and found another bugs

- If I dock Files window into Classes window it shows me 2 titlebars and 2 tabs bars. This happens only if you dock window with more than 1 tabs

- There is a drawing issue if I slowly move another window over the demo app

- On my win2000 machine labels for inactive tabs remain blank. On my winxp machine this doesn't occur

Regards
wxWidgets 2.8.4, winxp, VC2003 and above
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

arucard wrote:- On my win2000 machine labels for inactive tabs remain blank. On my winxp machine this doesn't occur

Actually, this happens on my WinXP machine (I'm using the silver XP theme).
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

arucard wrote:- If I dock Files window into Classes window it shows me 2 titlebars and 2 tabs bars. This happens only if you dock window with more than 1 tabs
Yup, thats what is supposed to happen. The tutorial text in the demo instructs you to do what you did:
8 Drag the "Classes" panel which has "Build" and "Classes" tabs using its caption, and dock this window into the "Console" window (number 3, it will be at the bottom) using the tab arrow.

Woah, what just happened? You docked a panel (which has tabs) as a tab of a panel! Switch to the "Console" tab in the bottom panel, and then switch back to the unnamed tab if you don't believe me. You can drag this embedded panel back out again using either its caption, or the unnamed tab.
You can dock anything as a tab, even containers which have child panels which have their own tabs which can be containers which... 8)
arucard wrote:- There is a drawing issue if I slowly move another window over the demo app
Sorry doesn't happen for me. I even turned on "show window contents while dragging" and cannot reproduce this problem. Have a slow computer? I'm going to assume this is not my codes fault and blame wx or your computer.
arucard wrote:- On my win2000 machine labels for inactive tabs remain blank. On my winxp machine this doesn't occur
tierra wrote:Actually, this happens on my WinXP machine (I'm using the silver XP theme).
This is because the color values reported by wxSystemSettings::GetColor() for the constants wxSYS_COLOUR_INACTIVECAPTIONTEXT and wxSYS_COLOUR_BTNSHADOW are the same color. This is unfortunate and not really my fault, its the themes fault. I'm not going to do anything about this myself (I run xp but have the themes service disabled, wretched thing). If you want to change the colors yourself, you'll want to edit the wxIFMTab::DrawTabs function in definterface.cpp, lines 2045-2122.
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

wxIFM 1.0.2 patch

Post by SnakeChomp »

This patch fixes a crash if you closed a floating window using its native caption. You do not need the 1.0.1 patch to use this patch. Extract this zip file over your wxIFM 1.0 distribution, even if you already have the 1.0.1 patch.

www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-1.0.2-patch.zip

As a followup to some of the previously mentioned issues:

The names of tabs that are not selected don't display
This isn't my fault, but its the fault of the theme. The default Windows XP theme does not have this problem, as I have tested that myself just today. The real fix for this is an overhaul of how wxIFM choses its colors for the stuff it draws. I may decide to do this one day. I will support anybody who would like to undertake this as well.

There is a drawing issue if I slowly move another window over the demo app
I can't reproduce this no matter how hard I try and I am running with "Display window contents enabled while dragging" and "Best appearance" visual settings. Sorry. I blame wx.

Just something I'd like to mention
wxIFM is still going to be in the wxWidgets cvs soon, as soon as 2.7 branches. I will be its maintainer and will gladly consider any patches submitted to sf for wxIFM. I will also assist anybody with technical details if they are trying to make additions or changes to wxIFM. Support for wxIFM is not going anywhere for a while, I am commited to keeping wxIFM as the only docking library you should ever consider for wxWidgets.

p.s. I recently updated the online documentation (www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/docs/html/) to 1.0.0. They used to be for 0.7.0.
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: wxIFM 1.0.2 patch

Post by Ryan Norton »

SnakeChomp wrote: wxIFM is still going to be in the wxWidgets cvs soon, as soon as 2.7 branches. I will be its maintainer and will gladly consider any patches submitted to sf for wxIFM. I will also assist anybody with technical details if they are trying to make additions or changes to wxIFM. Support for wxIFM is not going anywhere for a while, I am commited to keeping wxIFM as the only docking library you should ever consider for wxWidgets.
OT, but there's still a lot of talk about contrib... it may just be gone and all the stuff moved to wxCode. You should probably move your project there if you already haven't.

Got dockable toolbars yet BTW?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Ryan Norton wrote:OT, but there's still a lot of talk about contrib... it may just be gone and all the stuff moved to wxCode. You should probably move your project there if you already haven't.
Come hell or high water I want to see wxIFM in wxWidgets source. wxCode doesn't want to accept projects that are not under active development, and their whole "monthly status report" bull is enough to turn me off.
Ryan Norton wrote:Got dockable toolbars yet BTW?
Long answer: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=3201
Short answer: not officially, but try letting wxIFM manage a toolbar and see what happens.
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

SnakeChomp wrote:Come hell or high water I want to see wxIFM in wxWidgets source.
Why?
wxCode doesn't want to accept projects that are not under active development, and their whole "monthly status report" bull is enough to turn me off.
You can still just send an e-mail to wxcode-users about it - its still very much in formation and in flux, eh?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Ryan Norton wrote:
SnakeChomp wrote:Come hell or high water I want to see wxIFM in wxWidgets source.
Why?
I can't think of any other place where it would get more exposure than the wxWidgets source. wxFL is (still) in there, and they need to replace it. The last communication I had with Julian was that wxIFM would be that replacement, and I would like it to stay that way.
frm
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by frm »

wxCode is a well known place where a lot of wx-based code is hosted.
I think that wxIFM would be a good entry for wxCode...

However, reading some previous posts I do not understand a thing: will wxIFM actively maintained or SnakeChomp wants to abandon it ?

Also another little question (just because I'm curious ;-)): SnakeChomp, why are you starting a project like CPAF when you already know wxWidgets ? there is only a thing I don't like of open source: people often prefer to start their own projects (often with ambitions too big to be handled by few persons who work on it in their free time) instead of improving the currently existing ones....
this usually ends up with another dead open source project... :-(
leio
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by leio »

frm wrote:Also another little question (just because I'm curious ;-)): SnakeChomp, why are you starting a project like CPAF when you already know wxWidgets ? there is only a thing I don't like of open source: people often prefer to start their own projects (often with ambitions too big to be handled by few persons who work on it in their free time) instead of improving the currently existing ones....
this usually ends up with another dead open source project... :-(
This is unrelated here. Please come to #cpaf in irc.freenode.net if you seek an answer for this.
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/