wxIFM 1.0.5 - docking library for wxWidgets

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Sorry, dockable menus (as seen in some win32 applications) are not REALY menus. They pretend to be menus, but are probably just buttons that pop up menus for the user. I have no personal plans to implement something like this. The glory about wxIFM is, you can write a plugin that implements them and it can work for any implementation of the wxIFM framework. *hint* (Note I am not talking tear-able menus here. That is a *nix native thing and appears in windows in recent ms office versions but is ANYTHING but native functionality)
fantaz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

wxIFM build fails...

Post by fantaz »

hi there,
Sorry to bother you, but I just can't compile wxIFM lib.
I'm using wxwidgets 2.5.5, VS .NET 2003.

I get fatal error "Cannot open include file: 'wx/ifm.h'".

If I put that dir into path, I get "Cannot open include file: 'wx/defs.h'".

And finally, if i put wxwidgets into include path I get "Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h'"
Any clues? Are there any preprocessor vars that have to be set? Or something else?
krysa
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: wxIFM build fails...

Post by krysa »

fantaz wrote:hi there,

And finally, if i put wxwidgets into include path I get "Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h'"
Any clues? Are there any preprocessor vars that have to be set? Or something else?
When you build wx lib, setup.h is copied into lib directory next to the library itself - you must add this directory into include path, so the compiler always finds the correct setup.h file, that was used to build wx library.
Platform: MSW (Windows XP Pro)
Compiler: msvc 13.10.3077 (Free Toolkit)
wxWidgets: v2.6.0
fantaz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Re: wxIFM build fails...

Post by fantaz »

krysa wrote:
fantaz wrote:hi there,

When you build wx lib, setup.h is copied into lib directory next to the library itself - you must add this directory into include path, so the compiler always finds the correct setup.h file, that was used to build wx library.
Thanx, it worked...
Anyway, I had to include wxIFM include path, wxWidgets include path and wxWidgets lib path(i.e. $(WXWIN)\lib\vc_lib\msw)
frm
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

What about wxDockIt ?

Post by frm »

Hi,
I really appreciate your project but I'd like to inform you that another SF project, wxDockIt, is still at a good stage (almost complete) both for wxMSW and for wxGTK...
maybe these two opensource projects could collaborate and even merge the sources to fill in the gaps of the both ones ?

I think it would be more useful to wx community a single powerful and bugfree docking library rather than two different projects which are "almost" complete...
:D

what do you think of this proposal ?

Thanks,
Francesco Montorsi
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

Unfortuantely, there is no real way these two projects can merge. The way that they work is simply far too foreign for them to live side by side. I've known about wxDockIt since I started, but when ever I went to find information about it, the author provided nothing but the source dsitrobution, and I wasn't about to go digging through that just to see what it did. At the time I started, wxDockIt was windows only as well. I don't even know if wxDockIt does all the things that wxIFM can do right now, so I'm not really sure what gaps would be getting filled. The only major component missing from wxIFM is dockable tabs, and some special toolbar functionality. It goes without saying what wxIFM has alot that wxDockIt doesn't as well (plugins being the biggest thing). So, sorry, but wxIFM is staying as a separate project.

Oh, and wxIFM also works on mac sans floating. I don't see wxDockIt supporting anything other than linux and windows.

Whats taking so long anyway?
I am waiting for wx 2.6 to come out, at which point 2.7 will branch, and I will bother the devs for cvs access to contrib and maintain it. Where it ends up in the source tree is yet to be decided. With wx 2.6 coming out soon, chances are good that it will appear in cvs wx shortly.
jshanab
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxdev-cpp

Post by jshanab »

On the windows side I am using dev-cpp and was wondering how to compile the library. (I am gonna work in parallel on both windows and unix systems)
I have removed MS visual studio from machine, it was just taking up space
importing the project bombs unable to find libwxmsw25_IFM of which there are a bunch like that in the lib folder ie libwxmsw25_foldbar.a etc I suspect that is a translation wrapper?
the windows download doesn't contain the wx-config so dropping into cygwin and executing the make command also dies out.

DO i just need to re-download the unix version and let cygwin have at it?

I tried creating a static library and it made a file of 449 KB in size (non-debug) that I gave the .a extension to, Does that sound right?

One other burning question: Am I correct in assuming we can compile code in gtk and native on windows machines? Is that a compiler option, do I need to download an extra component?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

wxIFM 0.7.0 - Officially released

Post by SnakeChomp »

After what would most likely seem an eternity, I am pleased to anounce the immediate availability of the first real release of wxIFM.

The zip download full of win32 newlines can be found here: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-0.7.0.zip
A screenshot of the current demo: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/images/demo.gif
HTML documentation can be found online at www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/docs/html/

Included in this release
-wxIFM, the sophisticated docking library (duh)
-HTML documentation
-HTMLHelp documentation for win32 guys
-The wxIFM demo app
-VC6 and VS 2003 project files
-Unix makefiles also included, accuracy and correctness of these files is not guaranteed.

Notes for this release
wxIFM is currently developed against wx 2.6.0. I give absolutely zero gaurantee that it will work on 2.5.x, and it absolutely won't work on 2.4.x. I will not support anybody using wxIFM unless they are using wx 2.6.x.

You will need to configure your include directories to properly build this version. Namely, you will need to add the root wxIFM directory as an include directory. This is due to the files contained in wxIFM/icons, which are included in the source files as: #include "icons/blah.xpm" and will not be found without properly configured include directories. Note: If you use Visual Studio 2003, the included project files are already configured with all the needed include and link file directories so no fussing around (aside from setting wx include dirs) is necessary.

I have also changed the demo contained in the distribution to act like a sane application with a window layout common to many IDE's.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that as always, backwards compat is not in any form guaranteed. Not that much will change externally, but what ever needs to change will.

Need help? Doesn't work? Other questions?
Come find me at irc://irc.freenode.net/#wxifm or [url]irc://irc.freenode.net/#wxwidgets[/url].
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

wxIFM 1.0 rc1

Post by SnakeChomp »

I am writing to announce the release of wxIFM 1.0 rc1!

Whats new?

One word: TABS!

Thats right, tabluated docking is implemented. There are a few minor fixes but the real deal with this release is tabs. I have also updated the demo program: it now contains a tutorial with step by step instructions to follow to experience the power of wxIFM.

Heres a screenshot: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/images/tabs.png

Note that this is only a release candidate. I have not tested the new tab docking substantially, so there may be a few issues with it. Please try this version and report any problems to me so that I can fix them and hopefully make the real 1.0 release within a week or two.

Didn't you skip a few numbers? 0.7->1.0

Yeah, I did skip a few numbers. The real reason for this is that I will not be adding any more features to wxIFM in my spare time. Hope not to disapoint anybody, but I believe I've done enough work on this project thus far to call it complete, even though its missing a few things people would like (saving and loading interface states).

I won't be abandoning wxIFM though. I will still push to get it contribed into wx source somewhere, and I will be its maintainer. Feel free to patch more stuff into it if you so desire.

However, if you really would like to see some things in wxIFM, don't want to write them yourself, and would consider "donating" to the project, contact me either at IRC (channels are available in many places in this thread) or via email ( snakeb A.T optonline D.O.T net ) and we can arrange what features you want. Yes, I am talking about you paying me to add more stuff to wxIFM. :P

The download link is here: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-1.0-rc1.zip
A precompiled win32 binary of the demo can be found here: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/demo.zip

Not so secret information

Truth be told, IFM 2.0 will exist, but in a different toolkit, not wx! If you don't know what I'm talking about, you must not hang around in the #wxwidgets irc channel much!
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxIFM 1.0 rc1

Post by tierra »

SnakeChomp wrote:Truth be told, IFM 2.0 will exist, but in a different toolkit, not wx! If you don't know what I'm talking about, you must not hang around in the #wxwidgets irc channel much!
/me knows what SnakeChomp is talking about...
Avi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Avi »

Truth be told, IFM 2.0 will exist, but in a different toolkit, not wx! If you don't know what I'm talking about, you must not hang around in the #wxwidgets irc channel much!
More information will be great... :roll:
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

OK, I'll bite (no pun intended SnakeChomp ;),
What's the toolkit for those of us that don't hang out on IRC?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

wxIFM 1.0

Post by SnakeChomp »

I am releasing wxIFM 1.0 today, which will be the last release that I will make in the forseeable future barring serious bugfixes (or good contributions by others).

Since rc1, a crash bug has been corrected, and a quirk if you compile without RTTI enabled has also been corrected.

The file is here: www.snakesoft.net/wxifm/wxIFM-1.0.zip

This release contains a readme file. Those of you who haven't figured out what the not so secret information was in my last post will find that information here.
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic »

Riddles are fun and all but for those of you that prefer straight facts, here is the relevant information from the readme :):
As I said earlier, I will not be making any future wxIFM releases in the
forseeable future. Fear not, for wxIFM will continue to live on, allbeit in
another toolkit. That other toolkit is being written by me and a few people from
irc who dislike wxwidgets. For information, navigate to irc.freenode.net/#cpaf.
Disclaimer:
I
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

For information, navigate to irc.freenode.net/#cpaf.
:wink:

This is not the thread to fill up with unrelated posts.