wxAUI Improvements

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

I keep getting "the application failed to start, reinstalling might solve the problem" ?

I am running windows XP SP3. Do I need anything else installed to run the demo? I extracted all files to a temp archive. I have the same thing at work, so I am sure it is not my pc

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Use the source, Luke!
nikkov
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by nikkov »

jjn wrote:
nikkov wrote:3. If set wxAUI_TB_OVERFLOW for wxAuiToolbar with checked item, then dropdown item list produced assert dialog.
I added next checkup to wxAuiDefaultToolBarArt::ShowDropDown
I applied it.
Please, replace condition if (item.GetKind() == wxITEM_NORMAL) on
if(item.GetKind() != wxITEM_SEPARATOR) in your code:

Code: Select all

for (int i = 0; i < (int)items.GetCount(); ++i)
    {
        wxAuiToolBarItem& item = items.Item(i);

if (item.GetKind() == wxITEM_NORMAL)
        {
            wxString text = item.GetShortHelp();
            if (text.empty())
                text = item.GetLabel();

if (text.empty())
                text = wxT(" ");

wxMenuItem* m = new wxMenuItem(&menuPopup, item.GetId(), text,
                item.GetShortHelp(), (wxItemKind)item.GetKind()); 

m->SetBitmap(item.GetBitmap());
            menuPopup.Append(m);
            items_added++;
        }
        else if (item.GetKind() == wxITEM_SEPARATOR)
        {
            if (items_added > 0)
                menuPopup.AppendSeparator();
        }
    }

jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

nikkov wrote:Please, replace condition if (item.GetKind() == wxITEM_NORMAL) on
if(item.GetKind() != wxITEM_SEPARATOR) in your code:
Sorry, I overlooked it. Then I think that it should be like this:

Code: Select all

if (item.GetKind() == wxITEM_SEPARATOR)
        {
            if (items_added > 0)
                menuPopup.AppendSeparator();
        }
        else
        {
            wxString text = item.GetShortHelp();
            if (text.empty())
                text = item.GetLabel();

if (text.empty())
                text = wxT(" ");

wxMenuItem* m = new wxMenuItem(&menuPopup, item.GetId(), text,
                item.GetShortHelp(), (wxItemKind)item.GetKind()); 

m->SetBitmap(item.GetBitmap());
            menuPopup.Append(m);
            items_added++;
        }
orbitcowboy
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by orbitcowboy »

Hi @all,

are there planes to merge this improvements of the wxAui class into stable version of wxWidgets? Maybe wxWidgets-2.8.10?? or wxWidgets-3.0??

Regards

Orbitcowboy
jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

orbitcowboy wrote:Hi @all,

are there planes to merge this improvements of the wxAui class into stable version of wxWidgets? Maybe wxWidgets-2.8.10?? or wxWidgets-3.0??
No, they're not. I am doing it unofficially, because the official developer of wxAUI seems unfavorable to merging patches by other people.
alexodus
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by alexodus »

jjn wrote:No, they're not. I am doing it unofficially, because the official developer of wxAUI seems unfavorable to merging patches by other people.
wxAUI is an official part of wxWidgets. So if the developer of wxAUI is unfavorable to merge patches by other people, then the team of wxWidgets MUST exclude wxAUI (and it's developer) from the trunk (and from the team), because opensource without open-(developer)-mind is useless!
The other possibility is to fork wxWidgets (only for wxAUI).
OS: Win 2000, Win XP Pro, Ubuntu 8.10, MacOS X 10.5.6, CE
wxWidgets: 2.8.10
Compiler: VC 7.1, gcc 4.2.1, eVC 4
jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

alexodus wrote:wxAUI is an official part of wxWidgets. So if the developer of wxAUI is unfavorable to merge patches by other people, then the team of wxWidgets MUST exclude wxAUI (and it's developer) from the trunk (and from the team), because opensource without open-(developer)-mind is useless!
I am not sure what he thinks actually. He didn't say that he is unfavorable to that, but many patches and tickets seemed to be neglected :?
If necessary, I'll put my modification to SourceForge or somewhere.
eranif

Post by eranif »

I think that such patches should be discussed in wx-users/wx-dev mailing list

you will get your answers there.
Eran
IDE: CodeLite + wxCrafter
https://wxcrafter.codelite.org
https://codelite.org
jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

eranif wrote:I think that such patches should be discussed in wx-users/wx-dev mailing list

you will get your answers there.
Eran
I am already on wx-dev :)

Bryan Petty answered:
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/pipermail/wx ... 07025.html
bwilliams
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by bwilliams »

alexodus wrote:
jjn wrote:No, they're not. I am doing it unofficially, because the official developer of wxAUI seems unfavorable to merging patches by other people.
wxAUI is an official part of wxWidgets. So if the developer of wxAUI is unfavorable to merge patches by other people, then the team of wxWidgets MUST exclude wxAUI (and it's developer) from the trunk (and from the team), because opensource without open-(developer)-mind is useless!
Not true-- I regularly merge patches. Check out the svn logs if you need backup for that statement.

I'm very grateful for the work that others are doing and am excited about this recent push by others. At the same time, it's important to know that the work that I do is largely a volunteer effort, and I am usually buried with other work to do for my real job.

Also, you may have noticed that, on the 2.8 branch, I'm forced by wxWidgets rules to not apply any patches that break binary ABI compatibility. The patches that are submitted largely fall into this category.

Many of the changes out there also would unfairly break a lot of people's applications, even if they don't break ABI compatibility, so I also try to be careful in that regard.

But, all said, keep up the good work, we'll get it merged.

Ben
jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

bwilliams wrote:But, all said, keep up the good work, we'll get it merged.
Ben, do you mean you are thinking to merge my work? I know that you merge some (relatively small) patches, but you didn't merge VS2005 Style Docking and Auto Notebooks. I thought that it was because those patches are too big, so I didn't think that my work might be merged.

By the way, there are no comments about my two small patches (#9976, #9984) yet. You said, just a few days is simply not enough time. But now 3 weeks, is it yet not enough time?
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

jjn wrote:By the way, there are no comments about my two small patches (#9976, #9984) yet. You said, just a few days is simply not enough time. But now 3 weeks, is it yet not enough time?
It does indeed take a good amount of time to test every patch to make sure it doesn't break any other features on any of at least the 3 major platforms, and in many cases, patches need to be tested with multiple configurations on each platform. Even small patches can become a hassle if/when the original author hasn't taken the time to do this themselves. I don't see anything in either of the patches you posted that says what versions of wxWidgets or what platforms you even tested your patches with.

Anyway, this isn't usually that big of a deal since we're fairly used to seeing patches like this submitted all the time, but sometimes the maintainers simply don't have the free time to do this when actual paid work becomes a priority or they're simply just backlogged with numerous patches having just been all submitted in a short period of time.

All we're asking is that you please just be patient as obviously Ben is very busy as are the rest of the wxWidgets developers that have the experience needed to review and apply your patches. We do usually try to get all caught up on these before a release is made.

Use the time between now and then to really test your changes, and make improvements where needed and you'll save us some work. One of the other developers might actually take the time to apply many of these patches if someone took the time to move them to the official wxWidgets issue tracker instead of the Kirix forums. Also, if any of them change any public API and they haven't updated the documentation, they need to and this often holds many patches back from being applied in a timely manner. Additionally, if any of them make multiple major changes, they need to be split up into multiple, separate patches so they can be tested and applied individually.

There are ways you can help to get these applied faster if you really are that concerned about specific issues.
jjn
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jjn »

I actually don't mind about my small patches. If I'm going to let the official wxAUI arrive at my modification, HUNDREDS of patches are required. Even if I suppose it takes 1 week for 1 patch, it will take over 2 years.
Compatibilities and testing for various platforms are important of course, however such a thought often hinders big evolution.
bwilliams
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by bwilliams »

jjn wrote:
bwilliams wrote:But, all said, keep up the good work, we'll get it merged.
Ben, do you mean you are thinking to merge my work? I know that you merge some (relatively small) patches, but you didn't merge VS2005 Style Docking and Auto Notebooks. I thought that it was because those patches are too big, so I didn't think that my work might be merged.
I intend to merge these features on wxWidgets trunk. I have to make sure that the code is solid and well organized. I absolutely refuse to let happen to wxAUI what happened to FL a few years back-- a disorganised, crashing piece of code that nobody could understand, but yet many people needed.

As for your other two small patches-- when I have time, I promise you I'll look at them, and probably apply them. I have exactly four open source projects that I've authored and have to maintain, all in addition to my real job and young family. Please understand that I can't react to each project on a day-to-day basis.

Ben