Sneak peek on new wx Documentation Topic is solved

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
Jorg

Sneak peek on new wx Documentation

Post by Jorg »

Hi All,

For all people not following the mailinglist, there is effort being put in finally converting the documentation from LatEX to Doxygen. I say finally because most of the time the documentation was out of sinc with the source code, crucial links were missing and it became hard to maintain and even write by non-latex capable people.

Here is a link to the expirimental wxWidgets documentation:

http://wx.ibaku.net/manual/index.html

Have fun, please do not post comments here. You can post them to Francesco Montorsi (f18m_cpp217828 *at* yahoo.it).

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

I'll catch your comments here, I'm working closely with Francesco Montorsi on this. The docs you just linked to are hosted on my server. :)
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Is this intended to replace the user documentation of wxWidgets by any chance.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

priyank_bolia wrote:Is this intended to replace the user documentation of wxWidgets by any chance.
Yes. We will be removing the LaTeX documentation entirely, as well as the need to build and run TeX2RTF on the current docs.

We will likely lose the ability to generate and provide certain formats of the manual for download, such as any HTB version of the manual that's compatible with the wxWidgets built-in HTB viewer (HelpView), but we won't be losing any of the popular formats (HTML, PDF, CHM).

The Doxygen-based version of the manual will also be more than twice the size of the LaTeX-based version, but we gain some very large benefits from this move, and so does wxPython.

Pretty much, the only downside to this migration is that those developers redistributing the wxWidgets manual with their applications (DialogBlocks, wxHatch, and probably other wxWidgets development tools) will need to find alternative methods for platforms other than Windows until we have a viable modern wxHtmlWindow to use in wxWidgets since the manual will require CSS to be usable (Windows' default CHM viewer works fine in this regard).
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Thanks, I don't care for Latex. But current CHM and online HTML docs format are extremely important for me and others windows developers, until these docs contain complete information as that docs contains, every word.