Need a place to host your code for sharing?

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Need a place to host your code for sharing?

Post by dsilvia » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:53 pm

... with no strings attached? No registration required? No login? Just submit your code or link for inclusion?

Visit http://www.wxCodex.net. Fill out the simple form and have your code online!;)

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 am

I don't know... I'm not trying to spoil fun, but I just get this feeling that everyone's setting up his own code sharing site. I know Priyank has his own, Guru has his own, Jorg has his own.... and I know of a few more people who have their own code sharing sites. Perhaps they don't let the public insert their own code in, but I personally feel that we have too much of these things...

Sorry if this spoils the atmosphere or something, just thought that perhaps it would be better if we could put them all together... and maybe just that I'm sorta getting tired of seeing more and more of these sites.

Joel

P/s I've got nothing against you, just that this is the latest one and really... I just don't see the need.

fantaz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by fantaz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:48 am

lowjoel wrote:I don't know... I'm not trying to spoil fun, but I just get this feeling that everyone's setting up his own code sharing site.
Sorry if this spoils the atmosphere or something, just thought that perhaps it would be better if we could put them all together... and maybe just that I'm sorta getting tired of seeing more and more of these sites.

Joel
You're right. Seems that after a year or so there will be 20+ code sites. I know that one can argue it's about choice etc. but it would be really great if one code exchange site existed. There were some attempts before, like wxcrp (ok not a web site, but a cute piece of software, though). I like wxcode idea, but it's not as informal like wxcodex is. wxwpm is a attempt to centralize wx components. Not to mention wxMSW group on yahoo. One should collect and publish all worthy snippets and components and publish them. It seems to me it's just an impossible task, given the diversity of coding styles and build systems. Then again, nothing is impossible in software industry... Anyway, untill that time comes, the more wx ideas, snippets and components on the web, the better. Just publish your web site on some place visible to others in wx community, like here.
Just an idea: maybe to collect as mutch as possible links to various components and snipptes etc. and publish them with descriptions. Or without desc. Seems like a good start.
best regards,
fantaz

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 pm

lowjoel wrote:Priyank has his own
Regarding my site, it has been since 2002 and it sells some tools too. Its just that it now contains a lot of wxWidgets :D
lowjoel wrote: Sorry if this spoils the atmosphere or something, just thought that perhaps it would be better if we could put them all together... and maybe just that I'm sorta getting tired of seeing more and more of these sites.
About a common site I had raised the issue with the wxWidgets DEVs, Julian was interested in that, but it seems a lot of others rejected the idea, stating that there no such need and wxWidgtes.org itself is enough only a blog is needed. They created the blog, but it died at very young stage, only some people reach that link by mistake.
AFAIK, only the main site can't be enough and there is a strong need for other sites where people can post their articles, tools, etc. Sorry to say, but I don't like the wxCode and there's no site for wxWidgets articles except some written by me at my site and some by T-Rex at wxWidgets.info If you see Ultimate++, they have integrated their forums and everything previously scattered into one single site, giving it a professional look.
I don't see a solution for this problem unless an until some core DEV try to unify all into one, which is a distant dream under current situation.
The only practical solution seems is a directory of wxWidgets partner sites,
(don't tell me about Google, its pretty bad) where users can find all the important links. But it only solves one problem. There would be multiple sites, each site will have their own users and lovers and with time complexity and knowledge finding issues increase. And I am sure as a user I don't want to face a situation, where I have to look into thousands site to find where was that piece of thing resides. Microsoft is a pretty good example where they link all the resources into one, and provide information to users where to look for articles,etc. into their partner sites like codeproject.com
Having lots of sites is really not that bad, provided users now such site exists and what it contents, he knows how to reach there and don't have to do multiple registration. But this would also start local polarized community. Like you have a French site for wxWidgets, Windows user group, etc. But then also it will bring more good than harm.

And after all we are getting popular. :D

gururamnath

Post by gururamnath » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:15 pm

fantaz wrote:One should collect and publish all worthy snippets and components and publish them. It seems to me it's just an impossible task, given the diversity of coding styles and build systems. Then again, nothing is impossible in software industry... Anyway, untill that time comes, the more wx ideas, snippets and components on the web, the better.
Its not a one person's job to collect and make others to use it. It should be a community effort. For my personal contribution I started wxsnippets.com and so far collected and stored 68 commonly used/asked snippets. I will continue to add more as I find interesting snippets. But only one person **cannot** do this, unless you pay him to do it.

-Guru Kathiresan
Last edited by gururamnath on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wxWidgets Form Designer for Delphi and C++ Builder - http://www.twinforms.com

Code snippets for wxWidgets - http://wxsnippets.com

vdell

Post by vdell » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 am

I totally agree to the point that there should be one place for all those little code snippets that are floating around the web. If all the people with their own snippet site would help with the creation of the one and only "snippet centre" then I think it would eventually grow into a greatly useful resource site for the wxWidgets community. Now there are many sites which provide the usual code like how-to convert a string to a number etc.
Visual C++ 9.0 / Windows XP Pro SP3 / wxWidgets 2.9.0 (SVN) | Colligere

fantaz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by fantaz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:17 am

gururamnath wrote: Its not a one person's job to collect and make others to use it. It should be a community effort. ... But only person **cannot** do this unless you pay him to do it.
Yes, i thought i made the point, but my english is not very good. Just to elaborate: without couple of enthusiasts (small number relative to the community) who put amazing amount of effort in the beginning of the project, the project wouldn't gain momentum. Of course, this is only judging from my humble experience. So the idea needs those enthusiasts for a good start.

best regards,
fantaz

dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia » Sat May 05, 2007 3:09 pm

lowjoel wrote: P/s I've got nothing against you, just that this is the latest one and really... I just don't see the need.
It's not the latest one. It's been around for almost a year. :wink:

Before that, the only one was wxCode. Oh, and the various places for snippets here.

As far as I know, wxWidgets Code Exchange is the only one of its kind. It's not just for snippets. And it's not as foreboding as wxCode (lots of pre-req's there before you can place code there).

It's the only one that has no requirements other than it be free code and in zip format of some sort. There's no membership, no registration, no hassles at all. Just submit your code and there it is! :)

dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by dsilvia » Sat May 05, 2007 3:20 pm

vdell wrote:I totally agree to the point that there should be one place for all those little code snippets that are floating around the web. If all the people with their own snippet site would help with the creation of the one and only "snippet centre" then I think it would eventually grow into a greatly useful resource site for the wxWidgets community. Now there are many sites which provide the usual code like how-to convert a string to a number etc.
wxWidgets Code Exchange has tutorial, library-class, demo, and application categories as well as a snippets category. Curiously, snippets is the only one that's empty! :shock:

dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

One site for all things...

Post by dsilvia » Sat May 05, 2007 3:55 pm

I've heard a lot of comment here about how it would be nice if we had one place to put all our code for sharing. That would be nice if it were possible, but frankly, it's a utopian ideal! :wink:

If it were possible for one thing to represent all things for all people, that would be nice, but impossible.

That's why there's more than one type of supermarket in town, why there's more than one bank, more than one type of drugstore (phamacist, chemist, what-have-you), more than one barber, more than one restaurant, more than one theater, ... and the list goes ever on. It's never been possible for any one area to be represented by an ideal.

Not only that, imho, that's good. That's what drives innovation. That's what keep folks from resting on their laurels. And, last but not least, what prevents any one person or group from becoming the sole controller of the destiny of that area. Lot's of people have tried: Alexander, Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler, Bill Gates, and George W. Bush. All have failed because it is an impossibility. It goes against the grain of human nature for any one person or group to be in total control of anything. Think about the first time you felt rebellious against your parents! :wink:

So, lots of people present their idea of what is one good possible solution, and most of the time, they are. Good solutions, that is. At least to some subset of folks! :wink:

So I have nothing to say against any other site offering to store snippets or whatever. I'm sure they will have their adherents, as I hope wxWidgets Code Exchange will, too. We are all needed. If for no other reason than to prevent any one person or group from becoming the autocrat, and to be sure that every group, however small, does have a choice.

Don't forget that once upon a time there were those who said "wxWidgets has mailing lists and archives, what do we need a wxForum for?". And yet, here we all are, a few years later exchanging ideas here! A little food for thought, no?

jmtcw:

thx,
Dave S. :D

fantaz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by fantaz » Mon May 07, 2007 7:18 am

I think that nobody wants to discourage anyone who is making an effort to improve wx by coding, helping people with advises or maintaining a web site with code, snippets or something. Every effort is admirable.
And the more wx code on net, the marrier. It would be great if it were centralized, but hey, if it's not, it's way better than one mailing list. And there is a great deal of code laying around.
Just keep on going. We all need you.
best regards,
fantaz

dsilvia
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: Need a place to host your code for sharing?

Post by dsilvia » Tue May 08, 2007 10:55 am

dsilvia wrote:... with no strings attached? No registration required? No login? Just submit your code or link for inclusion?

Visit http://www.wxCodex.net. Fill out the simple form and have your code online!;)
Note also that even if your code is elsewhere online at another site, further exposure is always good!;) wxWigets Code Exchange accepts links to code as well as the code itself.

mac
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by mac » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:56 pm

I wish there was a c++ source code site specifially for wxWidgets samples like this site http://www.codeproject.com/

you guys should all join together and make a wxcodeproject.com :)
vista 64bit, OS X 10.4.x, OS X 10.3.9 x 2
(virtualization: vista 32bit, MS XP, MS95, MS98, Debian 3.1, Slackware 12, FreeBSD 6.1, a few more)

wx: 2.8.8/9 (unicode)
compilers: gcc (GTK+2, OS X), vc++6(MSW)

mc2r
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by mc2r » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:11 pm

mac wrote:I wish there was a c++ source code site specifially for wxWidgets samples like this site http://www.codeproject.com/

Do you mean like the sibling of this forum? "The Code Dump" is not quite the same as code project but it is a place for sharing code.

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewforum.php?f=20

-Max

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:06 pm

mac wrote:I wish there was a c++ source code site specifially for wxWidgets samples like this site http://www.codeproject.com/

I would be more than happy, if anyone like to post an article on http://priyank.co.in