wxSkin - release in sight

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxSkin - release in sight

Post by upCASE » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi everbody!

Some of you may have read and heard about my project wxSkin, a set of classes for skinning an application and offering a simple interface to let others create skins for your application.

I spend the week with some more tinkering on it and I've got a good feeling that I can release it soon. There are still some issues with the wxMac version, the docs are not yet finished and I will have to adapt to CMake or bakefiles to allow easy building.

Anyway, as the weekend is near and I won't be online until tuesday, I decided to give you another (updated) preview of my work so far. You can either visit my main site at
http://www.upcase.de/
or use the direct link here http://upcase.de/wxSkin.html

You'll find some new screenshots, a demo video, an updated demo application and a link to the docs I've written so far. Along with the docs comes a small tutorial and a reference for the XML files wxSkin uses.

Apart from fixing bugs I consider wxSkin to be in "feature complete" state, at least for version one. I would like to add some things, but I guess these new features won't be implemented until version 1.1. With a little bit of luck and time I can finish wxSkin version 1.0 next week and release it.

Until then: Have fun!
And please tell me what you think is missing or should be reviewed.
Last edited by upCASE on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:55 pm

Looking good.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/

zhouhao
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zhouhao » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 am

Looks good. Is it a "shaped" window? Can I apply skin to normal window? Are you going to release your source code?

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:12 am

zhouhao wrote:Is it a "shaped" window?
Yes. wxSkin has two different frame classes, wxSkinSimpleFrame and wxSkinFrame.
The difference is that wxSkinSimpleFrame uses only one image to create the GUI, while wxSkinFrame is a bit more complex and uses 9 images (4 borders, 4 edges and a body area). Both frames are shaped. wxSkinFrame can be resized, while wxSkinSimpleFrame is of static size.
zhouhao wrote:Can I apply skin to normal window?
Any wxTopLevelWindow can have a "skin". wxSkins frame classes are a bit special as they offer a simple interface to do that. Other controls are derived from wxSkinWindow, which is an abstract base class. You can extend wxSkin with other controls by using wxSkinWindow. Theses wnidows will be shaped as well.
zhouhao wrote:Are you going to release your source code?
Yes. Once I'm done with bug fixing and set up a build system for all platforms I'll release the library with source and examples.

metalac
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by metalac » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:08 pm

Any status update on this? I'd like to start using it ASAP.

Thanks.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 am

Update:
Due to job related work and moving with my family I didn't have much time to spend on this for the last two weeks. I'm sorry for announcing this too early. I will definitly have time for bug fixes next week.

However, I'm trying hard to setup CMake files for x-platform builds on all supported platforms. Even if this will still be alpha state, I'll release the alpha source once I'm done generating the files.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 am

Hi Rene,

If you need help with CMake, just send me over the project files and I will see what I can do. I have Linux at home now and CMake installed, which should be enough for me to take care of the linux side of CMake. The windows side should not be too much different, I think only the wx-win env var is important there, but the FindWx cmake script should take care of that ..

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:29 am

Hi Jorg!
Thanks for the offer, but it seems like I got it working to some extend. wxWidgets is not found properly on Linux, but I think I can fix that. The hardest part was to figure out how to run pkg-config... I'll have to test things for Mac now and see how I can create a proper bundle app for the example.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:32 am

Hmm... weird.

CMake is really a great tool (thanks for the suggestion Jorg, I used a cmake script form guibuilder as a base to get me started), but it still confuses me.
On GTK and Windows I got it running, although there are some "warnings" and one may have to set the wxWidget dir manually. On Mac OSX the script runs fine, it compiles the library and creates the initial bundle dir. But when it tries to compile the example, it seems to be missing some include paths. The wxWidgets stuff is present, so are the linker flags for frameworks and libs, but I currently can't figure out why I get an error for Quicktime e.g.

Has anybody ever worked with CMake on Mac and could enlight me?
Another problem is to determine the build platform. If I check for example
IF(LINUX)
nothing happens on Linux. But with
IF(NOT WIN32)
it works...