Specify the position of child process

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
zhouhao
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Specify the position of child process

Post by zhouhao »

I've spawn a child process by wxExec function. My question is how to specify the x,y position of this child process?
zhouhao
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zhouhao »

I forgot to mention that my child process is a console application which is not a wxWidget application.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If the process that you spawn provides its own visible output (as a gui process would do) then I don't think you can tell it from within wxWidgets where to display: that is done by your OS.

If you mean that the new process would normally have run and displayed its output in a console (in which case I don't understand what you meant by the x,y position) the way I do this is to catch the output of the process and display it in a wxTextCtrl, perhaps inside a wxDialog.

If I've completely missed the point, perhaps you could explain in more detail.

Regards,

David
zhouhao
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zhouhao »

Thanks for your reply.

What I mean is how I can set the child console application startup position on screen by my wxWidgets parent application.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

So the child process provides its own visible output. AFAIK you can't tell it from within wxWidgets where to display :(. That is controlled by your window-manager, perhaps influenced by the console itself (about which I know little, and it would be OS-specific anyway).