How many items can a wxListCtrl contain?

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
wwuster
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

How many items can a wxListCtrl contain?

Post by wwuster » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:59 pm

What is the limit on the number of items? If you add more items do you use more memory? I need a window where the text just scrolls out of the top of the window, but I don't need to do anything with the text. I only need the window to hold about 40 lines of text and not have the lines stored in memory. I was trying wxListCtrl, but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to use.

Thanks,
William

Bundy
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Bundy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:01 am

I don't think that wxListCtrl has memory Limit because I add whan time 30MB text data and it works fine but very slow. So now I put so big file into memory and create wxListCtrl with parameter virtula, this mean that ListCtrl will automaticaly get data from memory and show them only when it will be needed.

But why You don't put this 40 lines into wxTextCtrl with wxMULTILINE style?

Regards
Bundy
"Fate rewards prepared mind"

Quote from movie "Liberator 2"

wwuster
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by wwuster » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:00 pm

I'm thinking that wxListCtrl is overkill for what I'm trying to do.

Is the wxTextCtrl appropriate for a window of scrolling text. I definitely do not want a scrollbar or to use much memory. This is just a scrolling status display. Is wxTextCtrl efficient in scrolling text?

William