email and cryptography already made compnents or libraries?

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Radi0ShacK
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

email and cryptography already made compnents or libraries?

Post by Radi0ShacK »

hi all, i am developing "trying" an apllication similar to PGP with wxwidgets so is there email "SMTP, POP3 and IMAP" and cryptography "cryptographic algorithms like RSA, DSA, AES ...etc" already made compnents or libraries or should i write them from scratch "reinvent the wheel??"
thanks alot.
benedicte
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by benedicte »

For cryptography, you may have a look at LibTomCrypt. This is not a well-packaged lib, as this is a pure C lib, but it works well.
jsheets
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jsheets »

There are plenty of good crypto libraries out there, in particular I'd look at Botan and Crypto++, there is also libmcrypt.

Also look at libgcrypt, it is based on some of the GnuPG code and might support a lot of the functionality you are looking for.

Unless you are very well versed in crypto it would probably be far better to learn how to properly use an existing crypto library than to write your own potentially insecure one.