wxMkDir return false even if it successfully creates the directory. Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
apoorv569
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

wxMkDir return false even if it successfully creates the directory.

Post by apoorv569 »

I'm trying to check if a directory exists, and if not I want to make that directory, so I wrote this,

Code: Select all

#define CONFIG_DIR wxStandardPaths::Get().GetUserConfigDir() + "/.config/SampleHive"

if (!wxDirExists(CONFIG_DIR))
    {
        if (!wxMkDir(CONFIG_DIR, wxPOSIX_USER_READ | wxPOSIX_USER_WRITE | wxPOSIX_USER_EXECUTE |
                     wxPOSIX_GROUP_READ | wxPOSIX_GROUP_EXECUTE |
                     wxPOSIX_OTHERS_READ | wxPOSIX_OTHERS_EXECUTE))
        {
            wxMessageBox(wxString::Format(_("Error! Could not create directory %s"), CONFIG_DIR), _("Error!"),
                         wxOK | wxCENTRE, this);
        }
    }
The does work, and it creates the directory,
but it still shows the error, the first time I open the app, after that it doesn't. Is this is a bug, or is there something that I missed?
doublemax

Re: wxMkDir return false even if it successfully creates the directory.

Post by doublemax »

Use wxFileName::Mkdir with flag wxPATH_MKDIR_FULL. Then you don't need the wxDirExists.
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classw ... 560e1a62c7
Use the source, Luke!
apoorv569
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by apoorv569 »

doublemax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:01 am Use wxFileName::Mkdir with flag wxPATH_MKDIR_FULL. Then you don't need the wxDirExists.
This works, thanks.
apoorv569
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by apoorv569 »

doublemax wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:01 am Use wxFileName::Mkdir with flag wxPATH_MKDIR_FULL. Then you don't need the wxDirExists.
Is there a function to delete a file in wxFileName? I could not find one, there is RmDir(), can it also delete files? Currently I'm doing like this,

Code: Select all

void MainFrame::OnSelectResetAppData(wxCommandEvent& event)
{
    wxMessageDialog clearDataDialog(this, wxString::Format(_("Warning! This will delete configuration file %s and database %s permanently, "
                                                             "are you sure you want to delete these files?"), m_ConfigFilepath, m_DatabaseFilepath),
                                    "Clear app data", wxYES_NO | wxNO_DEFAULT | wxCENTRE, wxDefaultPosition);

switch (clearDataDialog.ShowModal())
    {
        case wxID_OK:
            if (wxRemoveFile(m_ConfigFilepath) && wxRemoveFile(m_DatabaseFilepath))
            {
                wxMessageBox(_("Successfully cleared app data"), _("Success"), wxOK | wxCENTRE, this);
            }
            else
            {
                wxLogDebug("Could not clear app data");
            }
            break;
        case wxID_NO:
            break;
        default:
            break;
    }
}
This works it deletes both files, but the wxMessageBox does not show up, neither the wxLogDebug in the else statement.
apoorv569
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by apoorv569 »

doublemax wrote:
I can't get to your last reply, when I click on the notification, it says "The requested topic does not exist."
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

apoorv569 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:24 pm I can't get to your last reply, when I click on the notification, it says "The requested topic does not exist."
That's because i deleted it.

wxRemoveFile should work fine and the code looks ok. One of the two paths must be taken, try a debugger to find out which one.
Use the source, Luke!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

You create clearDataDialog with wxYES_NO style but delete the files when its ShowModal() returns wxID_OK. I wonder how that can work.

I assume you are aware that the user probably will not see the message of wxLogDebug(), unless it works differently on Linux than on Windows (Debug vs Release builds).
apoorv569
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by apoorv569 »

PB wrote: You create clearDataDialog with wxYES_NO style but delete the files when its ShowModal() returns wxID_OK. I wonder how that can work.
Ah! Yes, this was the problem, I was checking for wxID_OK instead of wxID_YES.
PB wrote: I assume you are aware that the user probably will not see the message of wxLogDebug(), unless it works differently on Linux than on Windows (Debug vs Release builds).
Yes, I am aware of this, the wxLogDebug() statements are for me only. If I want to show something to user, I use wxInfoBar or wxMessageBox.