msw.font.no-proof-quality Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

msw.font.no-proof-quality

Post by Widgets »

While working with my current project on an older machine, I keep getting exceptions related to "msw.font.no-proof-quality".
I can continue the session without any apparent ill effects, but I just don't like doing so without understanding what causes it and much more preferably fixing the underlying issue.
I am not quite sure what other information about either the code or the environment would be useful. :-(
Environment: Win 10/11 64-bit & Mint 21.1
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
doublemax

Re: msw.font.no-proof-quality

Post by doublemax »

I keep getting exceptions related to "msw.font.no-proof-quality".
What's the exact message and on which operation does it assert?
Use the source, Luke!
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

The exception message is simply: :dclean.exe has triggered a breakpoint"
The place it is thrown at:
string.h line #1004 - wxWidgets 3.1.1
wxString(const wxString& stringSrc) : m_impl(stringSrc.m_impl) { }

stringSrc = L"msw.font.no-proof-quality"

When I set a break point at this line, it is hit several time before the exception is thrown and when it is thrown, it is deep down in the stack

Code: Select all

dclean.exe!wxNativeFontInfo::Init() Line 434	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxNativeFontInfo::wxNativeFontInfo() Line 194	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxFontRefData::wxFontRefData(const wxNativeFontInfo & info, HFONT__ * hFont) Line 85	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxFont::Create(const wxNativeFontInfo & info, HFONT__ * hFont) Line 821	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxFont::wxFont(const wxNativeFontInfo & info, HFONT__ * hFont) Line 66	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxCreateFontFromLogFont(const tagLOGFONTW * logFont) Line 296	C++
 	dclean.exe!wxGetCCDefaultFont() Line 327	C++
At this time the app is still in the setup phase and specifically during the setting of the initial size of the dialog application.
There is a (good?) chance there is some corruption of the stack or other memory, but when I exit I have no other complaints from the MSVC 2017 IDE, which is set to report memory leaks and report other issues.
To this point I have just been debugging the start up and because of this issue, I am reluctant to attempt to allow the app to actually do some cleaning ;-)
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

I have just compiled the same application on a different PC - same IDE & wxWidgets libraries, and I don't get the exception I got before on the the Windows machine and in addition, the new version finds and loads a number of plug-ins the earlier version did not.
Curiouser & curiouser
Both PC run the same version of Win 10, use the same wxWidgets version - in fact the wxWidgets code on the 'old' machine was compiled and then copied directly from the 'new' machine - the one which does not throw the exception.
OK, a complete rebuild on both machines seems to have cured the exception issue, but not the difference in plugins found.
I'll mark this thread as 'solved' for now
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Do you have another wxWidgets somewhere?
Or maybe you have another build of it and mixed them up?

Thank you.
Widgets
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by Widgets »

On the machine which had the issue there is only one copy of one version of wxWidgets - a well, as far as I can tell, the problem is no longer present, although I had made several full re-compiles on that PC.
MSVC Express 2019/2022
wxWidgets 3.2.2