GUI Chat Application

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Joewa
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

GUI Chat Application

Post by Joewa »

Hello I am new to wxWidgets. I am using code blocks and attempting to create a simple GUI Local Area Network (LAN) chat application. I would like the message to be transmitted using a User Datagram Protocol/Internet Protocol (UDP/IP) Socket. I want to use a certain IP address and port to send this message. I would like it to allow a user to enter chat messages into an edit box and send them to another process on the same computer (simulating a chat application over the Internet). Transmitted chat messages will appear in a larger, read-only, edit box

Although I was able to create the chat box
chat window in corner
chat window in corner
. How would I go about getting the code to execute on the button click
On button click
On button click
so that I get a similar result to the desired output screen shot attached
desired out put
desired out put
desiredoutput.png (21.5 KiB) Viewed 642 times
?

I'm going off of a windows -> visual studio -> MFC example and trying to replicate it with ubuntu -> codeblock -wxWidgets
doublemax

Re: GUI Chat Application

Post by doublemax »

Check the "ipc" sample that comes with wxWidgets. It consists of a "client" and "server" executable and does pretty much exactly what you want do to. (Internally, not the GUI part).
Use the source, Luke!