Passing window events to enclosing app

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Victory
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Passing window events to enclosing app

Post by Victory »

We have a game that uses wxWxWidgets, which we want to release on Steam platform. As some of you might know, while running a game, if the user presses a chosen key combination (Shift+Tab, by default), Steam displays an overlay which allows the user to access some Steam community features.

Now, the problem is that pressing Shift+Tab does not bring up Steam overlay for our game. One guess I have is that all the key events must be going only to wxWidgets and Steam doesn't get them. Is there a way to make it so that the window key events not handled by our game can go to the enclosing app, i.e., Steam in this case?

Alternatively, if there is a way to make it so that the key events first go the enclosing application (Steam, in this case) before coming to our code, that is fine as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
doublemax

Re: Passing window events to enclosing app

Post by doublemax »

I guess the problem is that wxWidgets uses TAB and Shift-TAB to navigate between controls.

I don't know if that's enough, but the first thing i'd try is to override wxAppConsole::FilterEvent(), and if it's a keyboard event and TAB was pressed and shift is down, return 0.

https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classw ... c6f602e20c
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classw ... ilter.html

I assume you checked all this?
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/overlay
Use the source, Luke!
Victory
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Victory »

Thanks "doublemax". When I try doing that, I am seeing something weird even without Steam integration. The following is my code. By putting breakpoints, I noticed that wxEVT_KEY_DOWN never arrived for any key I pressed! But, the mouse wheel event handled just above in the code does arrive. The break point on the line wxKeyEvent* pKeyEvent = wxDynamicCast(&event, wxKeyEvent) never got hit whatever key I pressed.

Code: Select all

int cApp::FilterEvent(wxEvent& event)
{
   wxEventType eventType = event.GetEventType();
   if (eventType == wxEVT_MOUSEWHEEL)
   {
      wxMouseEvent* pMouseEvent = wxDynamicCast(&event, wxMouseEvent);
      if (pMouseEvent)
      {
         // blah blah
         return wxEventFilter::Event_Processed;
      }
   }
   else if (eventType == wxEVT_KEY_DOWN)
   {
      wxKeyEvent* pKeyEvent = wxDynamicCast(&event, wxKeyEvent);
      if (pKeyEvent)
      {
         if (pKeyEvent->ShiftDown() && (pKeyEvent->GetKeyCode() == WXK_TAB))
         {
            return wxEventFilter::Event_Ignore;
         }
      }
   }

return wxApp::FilterEvent(event);
}
I am using wxWidgets 3.1.1 on Windows 10.

Thanks.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I tested this and i received wxEVT_CHAR_HOOK, wxEVT_KEY_DOWN and wxEVT_KEY_UP.

Is it possible you're using another library that consumes the event, e.g. SDL?
Try your code in a minimal sample and check if it works there.

Anyway, after reading the Steam docs, i don't really think that this mechanism requires the cooperation of the application. I'd assume that they use a keyboard hook, in which case it shouldn't matter if the application handles the event or not.
Use the source, Luke!
Victory
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Victory »

No, I am not using SDL.
I made some progress on this. I found that the EVT_CHAR_HOOK handler was getting called before wxApp::FilterEvent and was consuming the key events. So, I removed that handler. I also decided to centralize the channeling of key events by removing the direct key event handlers in all places in our code and have all key events go through App::FilterEvent.With that, SHIFT-TAB does "normally" bring up the Steam overlay. But, the overlay fails to show up if some control (e.g., a button) other than our render window happens to have the focus. In such cases, the TAB key appears to be going to that control and doesn't arrive at App::FilterEvent. Is there any way to make the TAB key not go to other controls like that?

Thanks.