wxWebView vs QWebView

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
zura
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxWebView vs QWebView

Post by zura »

Hello,

How does wxWebView compare to QWebView? Can you list pro/cons of each, possible limitations compared to another, etc...?

Thank you!
doublemax

Re: wxWebView vs QWebView

Post by doublemax »

To answer that we'd need to know QWebView, which i don't.

I can only tell you that wxWebView uses the native browser under each platform, e.g. Internet Explorer under Windows. If QWebView does the same, they should offer pretty much the same functionalities.
Use the source, Luke!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

If you are using wxWidgets you are stuck with wxWebView, if Qt then with QWebView, so the choice of the toolkit for your application pretty much determines what is available and that's it, right?

AFAIK, QWebView uses WebKit on every platform, does it not? There is a proposal for optional chromium integration for wxWebView, which should make wxWebView backend a bit better (not having to rely on whatever IE version is installed on MSW) and consistent.

I do not think anyone on this forum has enough actual Qt experience to compare wxWebView and QWebView, but I may be wrong...
Perhaps just looking at wxWebView API may help, as you may notice some important feature you were using with QWebView missing there...
zura
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by zura »

In case if anyone is interested - I've settled with wxWidgets since Qt doesn't have a real alternative to wxWebView (thin wrapper for platform web browser component) - Qt's components depend on bundled Chromium on desktop platforms.