Smth wrong with wxMessageDialog?

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Smth wrong with wxMessageDialog?

Post by alys666 »

Hi! I tried to use wxMessageBox in my developement, but seem it does'not show the title(capture), only the message.
int la = wxMessageBox(fmessage, ftitle, (wxYES_NO | wxCANCEL));

then i tried to use
wxMessageDialog ld(fpar,fmessage,ftitle,wxICON_QUESTION|wxYES_NO|wxCANCEL)
lres = ld.ShowModal();
but it also doesnot show the caption.

and finally i used -
wxMessageDialog ld(fpar,ftitle,fmessage,wxICON_QUESTION|wxYES_NO|wxCANCEL);
ld.SetExtendedMessage(fmessage); //!!!
lres = ld.ShowModal();
and it works.
so to have shown caption and message both, I use - ld.SetExtendedMessage(fmessage);

So..what is it? Bug or some misunderstanding of documentation?
Thanks, alex.
ubuntu 20.04, wxWidgets 3.2.1
doublemax

Re: Smth wrong with wxMessageDialog?

Post by doublemax »

This is most likely another Ubuntu "specialty".
Use the source, Luke!
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by alys666 »

Thank You, doublemax.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

This is a little strange because I use wxMessageBox in almost exactly the same way as your first example on Ubuntu 14.04 and it works fine!

For example, the following:

Code: Select all

int response = wxMessageBox(msg, "Confirm", selection.size() > 1 ? (wxYES_NO | wxCANCEL) : wxYES_NO);

if (response == wxYES)
    {
Behaves exactly as expected with the caption "Confirm".

The only difference is that I am using wxWidgets trunk. There is this ticket, but I am not sure if it is related.

Edit: Sorry, I also meant to ask if you are using the standard Unity desktop or another desktop or theme?
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by alys666 »

iwbnwif wrote:This is a little strange because I use wxMessageBox in almost exactly the same way as your first example on Ubuntu 14.04 and it works fine!

For example, the following:

Code: Select all

int response = wxMessageBox(msg, "Confirm", selection.size() > 1 ? (wxYES_NO | wxCANCEL) : wxYES_NO);

if (response == wxYES)
    {
Behaves exactly as expected with the caption "Confirm".

The only difference is that I am using wxWidgets trunk. There is this ticket, but I am not sure if it is related.

Edit: Sorry, I also meant to ask if you are using the standard Unity desktop or another desktop or theme?
sorry! I did not see your post.
i'm using ubuntu 14.04, BUT with gnome-shell desktop. May be it matters, because some key features are still not working in my code, despite i had tried a lot of tricks.
Last edited by alys666 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alys666
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by alys666 »

yes. i entered the Unity session and everything is correct, so i do not need my "hack". Here Gnome_Shell is the reason.

added: more correct info - there was something wrong with my gnome-shell. when i tested the bug in Unity, and have not it found, and since i changed themes in Unity Tweaks, -> when I returned to Gnome Shell session - bug disappeared over there too. :) So my Gnome Shell was in some strange state, cured by Unity session.