wxTimer example Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
exprosic
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: wxTimer example

Post by exprosic »

catalin wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:50 am
Palloy wrote:There are 88 folders in /samples/ and 162 *.cpp files within those folders, so this is not very helpful
This is not a legitimate complaint. You know there are examples there and you should go ahead and search them yourself. How about grep?
Palloy wrote:/samples/statbar/statbar.cpp is 1029 lines long and I couldn't understand it.
So you were even told of a file with a good example - that does sound like helpful to me.
It's unfortunate that you don't understand it, but IMO you really should. It will be much faster to read the code in the samples (or other examples Google will find for you) than asking here and waiting for someone else to write it for you.
Palloy wrote:It uses the "wxDECLARE_EVENT_TABLE" macro and doesn't use Connect() or Bind() way of doing things, which I think is more "natural".
You can also find examples of using Bind in the same samples. There are plenty of them, especially in the latest version of the code.
It is indeed not very harmful to give instructions to help-seekers about surviving in a pile of distantly documented macros with less noisy C++ codes scattered in between.

For a PHP programmer who can afford weeks to learn c++ and weeks to identify the part of c++ that should be forgotten and weeks to actually forget that part, those instructons might even be helpful. In this case, it is even more helpful to forget the examples and documentations and to deduce the correct way of using certain widget after deciphering the very source code.

But as a forum dedicated to wxWidgets development, I suppose it should be at least a supplementary to the unfortunate documentation of what it is dedicated to, with an unavoidable con of being indexed by a giant search engine instead of a decent indexing page.

I would like to contribute to the forum by providing an example of such supplementary of documentation (https://stackoverflow.com/a/571935/1479022). This link should also be helpful for those who were seeking the same thing as OP, clicked into this thread that is ranked 1st by google and accidentally went through all the modest discussion before reaching here.