DavidHart wrote:However, wxAui uses the caption as part of the way it 'registers' and identifies each dockable pane. So I found that, once the caption was changed, wxAui would lose track of the pane if it were moved or floated: it looked at the caption and decided it wasn't the one it was expecting.
I don't have much experience with wxAUI, but if it does that, it seems like a bug to me. Panels are supposed to be identified by their names and not their captions, right?
Anyway, speaking generally this is a problem that doesn't seem to have a simple solution. Imagine this scenario:
1. Application default language is English
2. User language is switched to French and the perspective saved
3. Application language is switched to Spanish
4. The perspective is loaded
Even if you store the user language somewhere along with the perspective, I don't think there's an easy automatic way how to translate captions that are stored in French into Spanish. Such a scenario is not very likely, but still possible.
If I had to solve this problem, I would probably do something like:
1. Create a name-->caption look up table for all panels in the default language (English), except those that are set by a user
2. After a perspective is loaded set the panel captions to the current user language based on the panel names.
Of course, this can work only if the issue David Hart mentioned has been fixed.