Distributing an app dependent upon wxWidgets Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
pac-man
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Distributing an app dependent upon wxWidgets

Post by pac-man » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

hi guys,

I've built my application in Visual Studio 2008 and now I want users to be able to compile the code in VC++ even if they do not have wxWidgets directly installed on their computer.

At present, when trying to compile without installing wxWidgets first the following error message is thrown

"Cannot open include file: 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory"

How can I go about solving this? I done some research and have come across having to create DLLs/statically linked libraries(?) but all in all, I'm a bit lost :(

Debster
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Debster » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 pm

You need the include's for compiling. So, if you won't install wxwidgets, you must deliver include's (*.h) files and either static libs or dlls from wxwidgets. But building a wxWidget App without any wxWidgets file doesn't make sense. :?

pac-man
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by pac-man » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks for the response, so I could simply copy and paste the #includes + any DLLs/libs into the app's folder?

If so, that makes sense but how would I know which DLLs/libs to paste over? (Are these simply the 'dependencies' listed if I go to my projects properties->Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies?)

Thank you!

TrV
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by TrV » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35 pm

pac-man wrote:[...]how would I know which DLLs/libs to paste over? (Are these simply the 'dependencies' listed if I go to my projects properties->Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies?)
Theoritically, yes.

But as pointed by Debster, i can't get the purpose. Nowadays, using an IDE without any framework is going back to stone age.
So what does prevent you from installing wxWidgets besides VS?