wxPlot with MSVC 7.1

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
blizzymadden
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

wxPlot with MSVC 7.1

Post by blizzymadden »

I'm trying to set up the wxPlot library into my wxWidgets folder, but have no idea where it is supposed to go and how to build it. Any ideas where you are supposed to copy this stuff to? I saw make files in there and tried to call "make install [path to make file]" but it just gripes about no rules to make or some junk. And how do you build it in MSVC 7? I set my include and library paths to wxPlot's folders and made an new project and included EVERY C, H, and CPP file in it into a new project but get tons of linker errors.

I didn't see any documentation anywhere on how to set this library up other than to run the make file. For us Visual Studio users not accustomed to living in the Dark Ages, how to you run a make file?
upCASE

Re: wxPlot with MSVC 7.1

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
blizzymadden wrote:I'm trying to set up the wxPlot library into my wxWidgets folder, but have no idea where it is supposed to go and how to build it. Any ideas where you are supposed to copy this stuff to? I saw make files in there and tried to call "make install [path to make file]" but it just gripes about no rules to make or some junk. And how do you build it in MSVC 7? I set my include and library paths to wxPlot's folders and made an new project and included EVERY C, H, and CPP file in it into a new project but get tons of linker errors.
In WXDIR/contrib/build/plot there's a project file to compile wxPlot as a lib. All you'd have to do once it is compiled it include the path to WXDIR/contirb/include, use #include <wx/plot/plot.h> and link with the plot lib. Maybe check the sample in WXDIR/conrtib/sample/plot
blizzymadden wrote: I didn't see any documentation anywhere on how to set this library up other than to run the make file. For us Visual Studio users not accustomed to living in the Dark Ages, how to you run a make file?
First of all install.txt has the info. The build steps are the same for the wxWidgets lib and the stuff in contrib.
Check this thread: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=2334
Although IMHO using nmake is quite obsolete, I do really suggest spending some time out on the console. Getting to know make and gcc using the DOS prompt or MSYS is quite essential. You will learn a lot from this.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
blizzymadden
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: wxPlot with MSVC 7.1

Post by blizzymadden »

upCASE wrote:Hi!

In WXDIR/contrib/build/plot there's a project file to compile wxPlot as a lib. All you'd have to do once it is compiled it include the path to WXDIR/contirb/include, use #include <wx/plot/plot.h> and link with the plot lib. Maybe check the sample in WXDIR/conrtib/sample/plot

First of all install.txt has the info. The build steps are the same for the wxWidgets lib and the stuff in contrib.
Check this thread: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=2334
Although IMHO using nmake is quite obsolete, I do really suggest spending some time out on the console. Getting to know make and gcc using the DOS prompt or MSYS is quite essential. You will learn a lot from this.
I can see that builds the regular "plot" library that came with wxWidgets, but there is a new wxPlot library with no explanations on how to install it (it did not come with its own install.txt, but some make files). It seems to bear no resemblance to the old contrib/plot library. The zip file it comes in has an odd folder structure, so it's not so straight forward on how to put it in the contrib folder. Oh well, maybe it will get included in the next wxWidgets release with a ready made project file.
farengeti
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

different versions of wxPlot

Post by farengeti »

I assume you mean this wxplot:

http://personales.unican.es/carreracg/web/wxplot.html

?

In order to build it with Dev-Cpp, I found a special distribution at:

http://oabl.free.fr/future.htm

that came with Dev-Cpp project files for building it. Once it was built, I simply had to add options to my project file so that it looked for the include and lib files in the proper directories.

You might try that, or at least look at the compiler options to see how to build it with visual-C++