wxActiveXContainer: Help needed

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
AkiraDev
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxActiveXContainer: Help needed

Post by AkiraDev »

Hi all,

Been a long time, and I'm here asking for your help again.

I've been trying to display a PDF Reader ActiveX control in a wxPanel (using the wxActiveXContainer) into one of my applications, but without any success. I even tried using the wxMediaCtrl example that the documentation features, but with no success.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to dedicate to learning all the COM interface intricacies.
Can someone please direct me to a tutorial that best shows how to use this class the simplest way? Or even better, any encapsulation class that simplifies the use.

I seem to remember trying the original wxActiveX add-on, and it being a bit easier to use than the class that is now included with wxWidgets.
computerquip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by computerquip »

:/
Last edited by computerquip on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AkiraDev
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by AkiraDev »

Thanks for that link, but I've googled for it before, and I'd rather stick with a wxWidgets-only solution for the same problem. Linking to MFC code can get me in trouble (read as "take too much time") for what I'm trying to make.

I've read a bunch of threads for the same suggestion. It seems that the wxMediaCtrl example from the documentation (that I referred to above) uses automation only availble in the complete Adobe Acrobat product, and doesn't work for people who only have the reader.

If I do need to get my hands dirtier anyway, I'd prefer something that uses Win32 code straight up rather than go through MFC...
Back, just not as often

Windows Vista SP1, Ubuntu 8.04
MinGW 3.4.5, GCC 4.2.1
Code::Blocks
wxWidgets 2.8.9