Animated Splash Screen Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Post Reply
JohnD
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Animated Splash Screen

Post by JohnD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 pm

1st question:
My app does quite a bunch of code before the top-frame is created. Do I need to redesign in order to throw up a splash screen while this work is going on, or can I create a random window whenever I want, even in the App constructor?

2nd part:
If I have an animated gif, how painful would it be to have the splash screen display this while the app is chugging on the CPU at startup?

JimFairway
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Canada

Post by JimFairway » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi John,

I think you could do either/or.
See http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_wxsplashscreen.html for the splash screen, it shows an example at the top.

If you want to show a gif animation, you would need to construct your own window at start up and put the animation in it.
See the animation example wx/samples/animate. I suspect you would have to call wxYield() during your initialization from time to time to make the animation work.
See http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_wxanimation.html

Hope that helps,

Jim
OS: Vista SP1, wxWidgets 2.8.7.

orbitcowboy
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 am

Post by orbitcowboy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14 pm

JimFairway wrote:Hi John,

I think you could do either/or.
See http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_wxsplashscreen.html for the splash screen, it shows an example at the top.

If you want to show a gif animation, you would need to construct your own window at start up and put the animation in it.
See the animation example wx/samples/animate. I suspect you would have to call wxYield() during your initialization from time to time to make the animation work.
See http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_wxanimation.html

Hope that helps,

Jim
Have you created an animated wxSplashscreen? I intend to do the same and do not intend to invent the wheel on my own :-)

Best regards

Orbitcowboy
OS: Ubuntu 9.04 (32/64-Bit), Debian Lenny (32-Bit)
Compiler: gcc/g++-4.3.3 , gcc/g++-4.4.0
wxWidgets: 2.8.10,2.9.0

JohnD
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Post by JohnD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 pm

orbitcowboy wrote:
Have you created an animated wxSplashscreen? I intend to do the same and do not intend to invent the wheel on my own :-)

Best regards

Orbitcowboy
I'm afraid not, we decided on a static image using the wxSplashScreen functionality.

orbitcowboy
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 am

Post by orbitcowboy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 am

<!-- -->
JohnD wrote:
orbitcowboy wrote:
Have you created an animated wxSplashscreen? I intend to do the same and do not intend to invent the wheel on my own :-)

Best regards

Orbitcowboy
I'm afraid not, we decided on a static image using the wxSplashScreen functionality.
Ok, thank you for your quick response.

Best regards

Orbitcowboy
OS: Ubuntu 9.04 (32/64-Bit), Debian Lenny (32-Bit)
Compiler: gcc/g++-4.3.3 , gcc/g++-4.4.0
wxWidgets: 2.8.10,2.9.0

Post Reply