So flimflam question in wxListCtrl! Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
kevin_fly
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

So flimflam question in wxListCtrl!

Post by kevin_fly »

I use wxListCtrl in the MAC platform, so flimflam that wxListCtrl in MAC hasn't member function GetSubItemRect(...)
but in the windows platform, wxListCtrl has this member function. so strange....

Edit: One exclamation mark is enough in the topic and the whole post doesn't need to be in bold! -vdell
Troels
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: So flimflam question in wxListCtrl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Troels »

I'm having all sorts of problems with wxListCtrl on GTK. It appears that wxListCtrl is rather a pain to work with on platforms other than Windows. The long term solution is to wait for wx2.9/3.0 and use the new wxDataViewCtrl control instead.

Regards
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

To kick in open doors, and only reiterating earlier statements, wxListCtrl is a very very very poorly designed control in respect to the developer's view. The API really is sucky, a lot of helper functions should have been there to do very obvious actions, also the client data you can store is only INTEGER based which means you cannot safely store object pointers in the client data. All that said, wxListView is a thin wrapper that takes away some of the grief that wxListCtrl caused, and wxDataViewCtrl, I hope that they learned and didn't overcomplicated obvious actions.

Luckily in wxPython helper methods are introduced to work with it, but it still is a pain to work with the control.

So, be patient and hope wx2.9 will offer something better. It should not be that long anymore.

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb