Questions about distributing wxWidgets based application.

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
cshong
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Questions about distributing wxWidgets based application.

Post by cshong » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:28 am

Hello, I'm not sure whether I am using the right forum or not. Anybody can move this topic to the right forum if found that my questions is not in the right forum.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2.

Question 1:
If I develop an open source and cross-platform wxWidgets based software using Code::Blocks IDE, and I wish that other people can compile the source code for my software on their computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux), by just using the 'make' command WITHOUT installing wxWidgets and Code::Blocks on their computer, what and how should I do? And, what should I distribute together with my source code?

Question 2:
If I want to use GPL license for my developed open source software, do I have to use the wxWidgets license also? (dual license)

I have many questions to ask. I may ask other questions (by reply) after someone answer my above questions. Any reply will be appreciated.

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about distributing wxWidgets based application

Post by tierra » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 am

cshong wrote:Question 1:
If I develop an open source and cross-platform wxWidgets based software using Code::Blocks IDE, and I wish that other people can compile the source code for my software on their computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux), by just using the 'make' command WITHOUT installing wxWidgets and Code::Blocks on their computer, what and how should I do? And, what should I distribute together with my source code?
You'll need to maintain both Code::Blocks project files as well as Makefiles. wxWidgets uses Bakefile to generate project files for many popular IDEs, but C::B isn't one of those that's supported by Bakefile, and I'm not aware of any cross-compiler project tools that do support C::B, you'd have to ask in the C::B community.
cshong wrote:Question 2:
If I want to use GPL license for my developed open source software, do I have to use the wxWidgets license also? (dual license)
No, you can release your software under just the GPL.

Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:37 am

You'll need to maintain both Code::Blocks project files as well as Makefiles. wxWidgets uses Bakefile to generate project files for many popular IDEs, but C::B isn't one of those that's supported by Bakefile, and I'm not aware of any cross-compiler project tools that do support C::B, you'd have to ask in the C::B community
You might find PreMake useful.

Sof.T
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/

Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Your users cannot compile a wxWidgets app without installing wxWidgets first.

cshong
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by cshong » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:21 am

Thanks for all your reply. I really appreciate.

Now I know that user must install wxWidgets to compile the wxWidgets based software.

Other question:

As I know, only download and unpack the wxWidgets source code already require many hard disk space of the computer, and the required hard disk space does not include the space requirement for compiling wxWidgets source code. And, compiling wxWidgets source code not only wasting hard disk space, but also waste a lot of the user's time.

Since the precompiled wxWidgets for Windows is already available at http://wxpack.sourceforge.net/, my question is: does wxWidgets license allow me to distribute the precompiled wxWidgets for Linux and Mac?

Deschamps
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Deschamps » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 am

cshong wrote:Since the precompiled wxWidgets for Windows is already available at http://wxpack.sourceforge.net/, my question is: does wxWidgets license allow me to distribute the precompiled wxWidgets for Linux and Mac?
If you distribute the binaries for your apps in Windows plattforms, then, you should add your wxWidgets built libraries, so the users can use your program. They only can use their own libraries (or third party libraries) if they compile your source code against their own libraries.

And in regards to the Linux platforms, there are packages for almost all the existing distributios containing already built wxWidgets libraries. So, downloading the wxGTK source code, compile it and build the libraries is not a need if an user doesn't plan to program wxGTK applications or compile third party source code using those libraries. It's enough installing the already built libraries packages.

In any case... yes. You can distribute your built libraries without any restriction, AFAIK.
Misquotations are the only quotations that are never misquoted

Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Also in many cases (like on mac, this is very handy) you can just build wx as static libs, then there is no distribution trouble