wxStyledTextControl vs. wxScintilla for Syntax Highlighting Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
rjmyst3
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by rjmyst3 »

On windows, I recommend you use wxPack.
http://wxpack.sourceforge.net

It includes compiled wxScintilla libraries - built with both MinGW and Visual Studio.

The source for that version of wxScintilla are also much improved over Otto's last release. They include a much more recent version of Scintilla (1.74, I think), and are tested and working on Windows, Linux, and Mac.

In general, I agree that using wxSTC when it is released with 2.9 would be better than the abandoned wxScintilla, but, this will be easier in the short term. Porting to wxSTC shouldn't be difficult when it is released.

Be aware, though, that wxPack includes some other things too, as it is meant to be the one package that you need to get started on Windows. So it is pretty big.
timw4mail
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by timw4mail »

rjmyst3 wrote:On windows, I recommend you use wxPack.
http://wxpack.sourceforge.net

It includes compiled wxScintilla libraries - built with both MinGW and Visual Studio.

The source for that version of wxScintilla are also much improved over Otto's last release. They include a much more recent version of Scintilla (1.74, I think), and are tested and working on Windows, Linux, and Mac.

In general, I agree that using wxSTC when it is released with 2.9 would be better than the abandoned wxScintilla, but, this will be easier in the short term. Porting to wxSTC shouldn't be difficult when it is released.

Be aware, though, that wxPack includes some other things too, as it is meant to be the one package that you need to get started on Windows. So it is pretty big.
That's really helpful, but is there a version of that for Linux and Mac? Or should that package be cross-platform?
My wxWidgets Program:Snaga

Platforms:Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac
IDE/Compiler:Netbeans with MinGW/GCC, Sun Compilers for Solaris, Xcode for Mac
wxWidgets Version:2.8.7
rjmyst3
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by rjmyst3 »

The main goal of wxPack is to provide the wxWidgets libraries pre-built. That problem is already solved on mac and linux.

wxAdditions (a subset of wxPack) is a collection of contributed wxWidgets controls, and happens to include wxScintilla. wxAdditions is not available prebuilt for linux or mac, although it will be available for linux soon.
timw4mail
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by timw4mail »

rjmyst3 wrote:That problem is already solved on mac and linux.
I don't think an outdated build, as on Mac counts.

Also, I don't think many distros have wxWidgets pre-built.
My wxWidgets Program:Snaga

Platforms:Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac
IDE/Compiler:Netbeans with MinGW/GCC, Sun Compilers for Solaris, Xcode for Mac
wxWidgets Version:2.8.7
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

I can imagine the reason why there are not much prebuild libs was because wxWidgets can be configured in so many ways:

- Unicode / Ansi
- Monolithic / Seperate libs
- DLL / Static
- Debug / Release
- And check out setup.h for all seperate toggle switches

If you add all those, you will come to maybe 32 different combinations per platform, and then also for different compiler such as the GNU chain, MinGW, Borland, VS, and what not.

Personally I would have liked a subset where there are like 4 libs per platform, but maybe when they drop monolithic and ansi all together and only concentrate on unicode (which is the future anyway) then it would be possible.

It would surely help acceptance of wxWidgets. I do know there is a setup for wxWidgets which upCASE made. It pre-compiles the wxWidgets library with predefined settings, and offers you a lot of libs at the end, but that only works for Visual Studio

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb