Loading and playing a wxMediaCtrl

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Loading and playing a wxMediaCtrl

Post by forrestcupp »

I want to be able to click a wxButton and have it load a file into a wxMediaCtrl, then play it immediately, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can load the file ahead of time in my MyFrame constructor then play it when I click the button, but I can't figure out how to do them both at once in the same event.
arbcow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arbcow »

create a wrapper(class) for wxmedia, then just create a var with it, and it will play :)

DemoMediaWrapper * dmo = new DemoMediaWrapper(m_wxMediaParent,musicfile.mp3,true);
//wrapper example

DemoMediaWrapper::DemoMediaWrapper(wxWindow * parent,wxString filename,bool looping)
:wxMediaCtrl(parent , IDM_MEDIACONTROL,wxEmptyString, wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize/*, 0, wxMEDIABACKEND_DIRECTSHOW*/)
{
bool result = Load(filename.data());
m_looping = looping;
}

void DemoMediaWrapper::OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent & ev)
{
Play();
}

void DemoMediaWrapper::OnMediaFinished(wxMediaEvent & ev)
{
if(m_looping)
Play();
}
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

Thanks for your response. It gave me some ideas, but I'd rather try it without a wrapper. But I can't get what I'm trying to work. I'm just trying to set up a function to capture the Loaded event and I can't get it to work. My problem is that I like to use Connect instead of event tables, and all of the examples I've seen use event tables. So here's what I put in my MyFrame constructor that didn't work (keep in mind that mySound is a wxMediaCtrl that I declared in my header):

Code: Select all

mySound = new wxMediaCtrl(panel, ID_MEDIA);
	Connect(ID_MEDIA, wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED, wxMediaEventHandler(MyFrame::OnLoaded));
That didn't catch the media loaded event, so I tried connecting it directly to mySound which didn't work either.

mySound->Connect(ID_MEDIA, wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED, wxMediaEventHandler(MyFrame::OnLoaded));
In this one, I also tried substituting -1 for ID_MEDIA, and it didn't work either. I put a SetStatusText in my OnLoaded function just to test and see if it was ever accessed, and it isn't.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
arbcow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arbcow »

Yeah i have tried it a few ways, but if you write that wrapper you can use it like your using mysound, just a small amount of code. I think theres things going on in the background that you cant see and that why its not working as expected.
Compilers
gcc / gnu make (OSX)
Visual Studio 2005 (MS Windows)
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

I appreciate your help. I really want to get this to work, but I just can't. I think I may have found a problem that is perplexing me. I don't have a wxMediaCtrl::OnMediaLoaded function. I do have the OnMediaFinished, but there's nothing for the Loaded. That must be my whole problem, but I can't understand why it wouldn't be there. Without the OnMediaLoaded function, I can't even make the wrapper you showed me.
arbcow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arbcow »

post your wrapper code, ill correct it
Compilers
gcc / gnu make (OSX)
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

I made a class called cuppMediaCtrl.

Here is the header file:

#include "wx/wx.h"
#include "wx/mediactrl.h"

class cuppMediaCtrl : public wxMediaCtrl
{
public:
	cuppMediaCtrl(wxWindow* parent,wxString filename, bool looping);
	bool LoadFile(wxString filename);
	void SetLoop(bool loop);
	bool GetLoop();
	void OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent& event);
	void OnMediaFinished(wxMediaEvent& event);

private:
	bool isLooping;
};
And here is the cpp file:

#include "cuppMediaCtrl.h"

cuppMediaCtrl::cuppMediaCtrl(wxWindow *parent, wxString filename = _T(""), bool looping = false) :
wxMediaCtrl(parent, -1, filename)
{
	if(filename != _T(""))
	isLooping = looping;
	return;
}

bool cuppMediaCtrl::LoadFile(wxString filename)
{
	bool result = this->Load(filename.data());
	return result;
}

void cuppMediaCtrl::SetLoop(bool loop = true)
{
	isLooping = loop;
	return;
}

bool cuppMediaCtrl::GetLoop()
{
	return isLooping;
}

void cuppMediaCtrl::OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent& event)
{
	Play();
}

void cuppMediaCtrl::OnMediaFinished(wxMediaEvent &event)
{
	if(isLooping)
		Play();
}
Like I said, my intellisense automatically showed the OnMediaFinished, but there wasn't an OnMediaLoaded.
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

You do not need a wrapper.

All you have to do is this:

in MediaDialog::CreateControls()

mediactrl=new wxMediaCtrl(this, wxID_ANY, wxT(""), wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(60,60), wxNO_BORDER, wxMEDIABACKEND_WMP10); //Or whatever you need here
    sizer->Add(mediactrl,1,wxEXPAND,0);

mediactrl->Connect(wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED, wxMediaEventHandler(MediaDialog::OnLoad), NULL, this);
Sebastian
Last edited by C_Bastian on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe is trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. [Rich Cook]
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

Well, that was the whole problem to begin with. wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED isn't working for me. I was trying that before arbcow told me to make a wrapper. I dont even have an OnMediaLoaded function in my wxMediaCtrl class like I should.

I don't have any problem Connecting to wxEVT_MEDIA_FINISHED. I have done that for looping without any trouble and it works. And I do have an OnMediaFinished function in my wxMediaCtrl class.

I am using wxWidgets 2.8.6 from wxPack 2.8.6. I wonder if they made a mistake and left that function out of this version.
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

Did you notice the differences in our Connect() call?

In my example an event of the wxMediaCtrl is connected to a function of the dialog which is the parent of the wxMediaCtrl.

So my function is of a MediaDialog::OnLoad type.

Your code did not work for me, too.

I'm using wxWidgets 2.8.4 and my Connect() works fine. I'll have a closer look at it later.

Sebastian
Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe is trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. [Rich Cook]
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

forrestcupp wrote:Well, that was the whole problem to begin with. wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED isn't working for me. I was trying that before arbcow told me to make a wrapper. I dont even have an OnMediaLoaded function in my wxMediaCtrl class like I should.
in src/common/mediactrlcmn.cpp you'll find: DEFINE_EVENT_TYPE(wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED)

But there is no OnMediaLoaded function in wxMediaCtrl, because there is no event table. That's why you have to connect it to a function manually.
arbcow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by arbcow »

#pragma once
#include "wx/wx.h"
#include "wx/mediactrl.h"

class cuppMediaCtrl : public wxMediaCtrl
{
typedef wxMediaCtrl Inherited;
public:
cuppMediaCtrl(wxWindow* parent,wxString filename, bool looping);
bool LoadFile(wxString filename);
void SetLoop(bool loop);
bool GetLoop();
void OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent& event);
void OnMediaFinished(wxMediaEvent& event);

protected:
enum MenuIds {
IDM_MEDIACONTROL = wxID_HIGHEST + 100
};

private:
bool isLooping;

DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE()
};

And here is the cpp file:
wxwidgets:
#include "cuppMediaCtrl.h"

BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(cuppMediaCtrl, Inherited)
EVT_MEDIA_LOADED(IDM_MEDIACONTROL,OnMediaLoaded)
EVT_MEDIA_STOP(IDM_MEDIACONTROL,OnMediaFinished)
END_EVENT_TABLE()

cuppMediaCtrl::cuppMediaCtrl(wxWindow *parent, wxString filename = _T(""), bool looping = false) :
wxMediaCtrl(parent, IDM_MEDIACONTROL, wxEmptyString, wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize)
{
if(filename != _T(""))
isLooping = looping;
return;
}

bool cuppMediaCtrl::LoadFile(wxString filename)
{
bool result = this->Load(filename.data());
return result;
}

void cuppMediaCtrl::OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent& event)
{
Play();
}

void cuppMediaCtrl::OnMediaFinished(wxMediaEvent &event)
{
if(isLooping)
Play();
}
Compilers
gcc / gnu make (OSX)
forrestcupp
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by forrestcupp »

C_Bastian wrote:Did you notice the differences in our Connect() call?

In my example an event of the wxMediaCtrl is connected to a function of the dialog which is the parent of the wxMediaCtrl.

So my function is of a MediaDialog::OnLoad type.
What is MediaDialog? Is that the name of a class you created, or what? Is it a frame class you made, or is it something built into wxWidgets?
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

Oh, sorry, I just copied some lines of code from one of my applications. It is just the dialog where the wxMediaCtrl is located in. Let's say, the parent window of the wxMediaCtrl.