Campaign: wxWidgets for Android

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
OpenAPC
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Campaign: wxWidgets for Android

Post by OpenAPC »

Hello everybody,

there have been several discussions regarding this problem which all ended up with two conclusions:

- wxWidgets on Android defintely would be a good idea and something that is highly welcome
- there are not enough resources/people available that would do the job

So its a bit like a chicken-and-egg-problem: it would be used, supported and further developed when it would exist. So to push that a bit and to bring all resources together we started this campaign (with Julian's kind permission).

Central point is the advertised bidding at <url removed>

There you can

a) place a bid to support payment of the development
b) accept the project, realise it and therefore earn the money wxWidgets users are willing to pay for it
c) spread the word, tell other people about it and therefore find more interested persons for a) or b)

Here every contribution is highly welcome, independent how small it seems to be!

The whole process is described at <url removed> . When somebody bids for the project the money is not lost: in case nobody accepts the challenge to port wxWidgets to Android nothing has to be paid.
Last edited by OpenAPC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenAPC
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Re: Campaign: wxWidgets for Android

Post by OpenAPC »

Just as information about the intermediate results: meanwhile four persons have offered a total of € 1250 (that's equal to more than 1600 US$) at <url removed> . I think thats a really good starting number!

On 11 Okt. 2011, 17:15, Julian Smart <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would quite
> happily throw some money at a port so if anyone wants to put themselves
> forward...

You - and everybody else - is always welcome to do that!

--
Kind regards

Jim Hart

http://www.lasermarkingsoftware.com

Follow us at Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/openapc
Last edited by OpenAPC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsmithson
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by bsmithson »

Hi! I'd like to work on the Android port. Is someone organizing that?
tuli
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by tuli »

OpenAPC
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by OpenAPC »

...or go to <url removed> and make an offer!

Btw: there are currently EUR 2500 available for somebody who does the job.
Last edited by OpenAPC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jessy V
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Jessy V »

A good starting point could be to consider studying SDL's Android port that is present in recent versions...
Elmi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Elmi »

That cofundos.org is full of spam and the owners seem not to be interested in it - I wrote several mails to point to the fact that they should clean up the webpage a bit but with no reaction. Wouldn't it be better to start a campaign at kickstarter.com and - dependent on the earned money - pay a professional developer for porting the software?
OpenAPC
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by OpenAPC »

Hi,

just for your information: some time ago we started this campaign to bring together backers and potential developers to start development of wxWidgets for Android.

This was partially successful. We now have a nameable amount of users that are willing to pay a really impressive amount of money for that. Unfortunately the platform we have choosen is not capable of managing such a thing and bringing people together (it is full of spam and operators are not interested in removing it / do not respond when one tries to get in touch with them).

So nobody of the potential backers had to pay anything here, this first try was abandoned. And even more good news: the project "wxWidgets for Android" is not dead! Motivated by the good results we start a second try soon - this time with a more serious platform to manage this and with much more publicity via open source communities and publications.

So many thanks for all people that wanted to help in this first try - we restart it soon, this time hopefully with 100% success!

I'll let you know more soon...
TimToomay
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by TimToomay »

Hi! I'd like to work on the Android 'port', not that you can or would want to exactly do it!
edz
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by edz »

Android should not be terribly difficult. I'd just go through Cairo.. and use wx SWIG'd into JNI.. Sure it would not be using the native UI but what the native UI of Android? Its another paradigm anyway..
Sarah Keys
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Sarah Keys »

TimToomay wrote:Hi! I'd like to work on the Android 'port', not that you can or would want to exactly do it!
21 Day Fix Extreme
Did you find anything about it ?WoW Gold Tycoon Thanks perfectgreenlawn.com Best Phone Grip